Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Spain

Does anyone have any tips or things to watch out for when renting a car in Spain? I will definitely need to rent an automatic, and plan to pick it up and drop it off at the same location in Madrid (ideally near the Prado museum). Wondering if there are any special fees or charges to watch out for, or any special arrangements we should make in advance. Any car rental company recommendations are also welcome! Thanks!

Posted by
4535 posts

I've never had a problem renting automatics in smaller cars. You need to reserve in advance, but they are certainly available.

I too would caution you about driving in the city. It would be easier, but likely more expensive to rent from the airport.

I've had good luck with AutoEurope. You can search several agencies and find the right car and price for you.

While expensive and a profit maker for the agencies, I always select the CDW when traveling abroad. I'm willing to pay for the peace and mind that if something happens, I won't have to worry that my credit card will find some loophole to wiggle out of.

Always be alert to what you are initialling and signing. Mark anything on the damage form before you leave. Take photos around the car before you leave and when you get back (and also the gas gauge on your return).

An International Drivers Permit is legally required in Spain, and always a good idea when driving abroad. The only authorized vendor in the US is AAA.

Posted by
1527 posts

Do obtain the IDP from AAA for $20 as the on the spot cash fine is over 200 euros.
Do brush up on international traffic signs appearance and meaning.
Use google earth street view to preview the routes. Look for landmarks, like a prominent building, to identify intersections where you will need to turn.
We prefer hatchbacks for luggage capacity and we bring a black single bed sheet to toss over valuables.
We strive to park outside of tourist zones for ease of parking and less expense. We have found it more convenient to park and take public transport instead of fighting the insane battle of narrow streets.

We prefer autoeurope.

Posted by
270 posts

We got back a few weeks ago and we rented a car. The only surprise was that when we turned it in, the clerk asked for our last gas receipt, even though we returned the car with a full tank. We both speak fluent Spanish and the clerk who rented us the car at the beginning of our trip never mentioned keeping receipts. I never heard of it before. So, you might want to keep your gas receipts in case they ask. Btw, we rented from Hertz. Never had a problem driving in Spain. I find the drivers to be much more courteous and law-abiding than the American drivers. But they do drive fast!

Posted by
270 posts

Also, we had good luck renting through Kayak. They give you a choice of companies and rates.

Posted by
123 posts

If you’re renting a car in Spain, bring your driver’s license. You’re also required to have an International Driving Permit--an official translation of your driver’s license (sold at your local AAA office for $15 plus the cost of two passport-type photos; see www.aaa.com). If all goes well, you’ll likely never be asked to show the permit--but it’s a must if you end up dealing with the police.

Rental companies require you to be at least 21 years old and to have held your license for one year. Drivers under the age of 25 may incur a young-driver surcharge, and some rental companies do not rent to anyone 75 or older. If you’re considered too young or old, look into leasing (covered later), which has less stringent age restrictions.

Research car rentals before you go. It’s cheaper to arrange most car rentals from the US. Call several companies or look online to compare rates. Most of the major US rental agencies (including Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and Thrifty) have offices throughout Europe. Also consider the two major Europe-based agencies, Europcar and Sixt. It can be cheaper to use a consolidator, such as Auto Europe/Kemwel (www.autoeurope.com) or Europe by Car (www.europebycar.com), which compares rates at several companies to get you the best deal--but because you’re working with a middleman, it's especially important to ask in advance about add-on fees and restrictions.

Regardless of the car-rental company you choose, always read the fine print carefully for add-on charges--such as one-way drop-off fees, airport surcharges, or mandatory insurance policies--that aren’t included in the “total price.” You may need to query rental agents pointedly to find out your actual cost.

Figure on paying roughly $200 for a one-week rental. Allow extra for supplemental insurance, fuel, tolls, and parking. For trips of three weeks or more, look into leasing; you’ll save money on insurance and taxes.

Big companies have offices in most cities; ask whether they can pick you up at your hotel. Small local rental companies can be cheaper but aren’t as flexible. Compare pickup costs (downtown can be less expensive than the airport) and explore drop-off options. Always check the hours of the location you choose: Many rental offices close from midday Saturday until Monday morning and, in smaller towns, at lunchtime.

When selecting a location, don’t trust the agency’s description of “downtown” or “city center.” In some cases, a “downtown” branch can be on the outskirts of the city--a long, costly taxi ride from the center. Before choosing, plug the addresses into a mapping website. You may find that the “train station” location is handier. But returning a car at a big-city train station or downtown agency can be tricky; get precise details on the drop-off location and hours, and allow ample time to find it.

When you pick up the rental car, check it thoroughly and make sure any damage is noted on your rental agreement. Find out how your car’s lights, turn signals, wipers, radio, and fuel cap function, and know what kind of fuel the car takes (diesel vs. unleaded). When you return the car, make sure the agent verifies its condition with you. Some drivers take pictures of the returned vehicle as proof of its condition.

Posted by
11 posts

Driving in and out of Madrid is not for the faint of heart. There is a huge underground freeway system. GPS is needed and one that is up to date. Good luck!