Please sign in to post.

Costa Brava

We are doing a Rick tour in Feb next year Starting in Barcelona and would like to spend a couple of days before in the Costa Brava area. Where would be a good place and is there enough to do for two nights ? We probably will rent a car. Thanks.

Posted by
4535 posts

A lot of the Costa Brava towns are isolated and not easy to get to by bus, so a car will get you a lot of flexibility.

I'd go north since the southern towns are easy to get to by train (like Stiges and Tarragona). The only beach town I've been to is Cadaques, which is a great town with plenty to see for a day. The next town over is Port Lligat, where the Salvador Dali house is. You must reserve tickets in advance but it is well worth it. Note that the main Dali Museum is in Figueres, which you might pass through on your way to Cadaques. Also drive out to Caps de Creus from Port Lligat, which is a beautiful seaside landscape that inspired Dali.

Between Barcelona and Cadaques are numerous other beach towns that range from concrete highrises to quaint.

Girona also gets high marks and is on the main tollway between Barcelona and Figueres.

Not far from Girona towards the Pyrenees is the quaint Medieval town of Besalu. It's a pedestrian only town and you park in a lot and cross the stone bridge. A very pretty setting.

Posted by
2940 posts

Hi Pippa,
As Douglas said, it's best to rent a car... but "only" when you're ready to leave Barcelona as renting a car while in Barcelona is expensive and a nightmare to park. By train you can go bordering the coastline as far north as Blanes, from there onward the train line goes inland. There are buses from Barcelona to most towns in La Costa Brava so you could in theory do a day escapade but I also think la Costa Brava is worth visiting by car. Please see this map so you get your bearings on what's where: http://www.infocatalonia.eu/w/map-of-catalonia/