Please sign in to post.

10 days in Girona

I am taking a 10 days cycling trip to Girona in early September. I think I have a pretty good idea of what there is to do in Girona itself when not riding. Can anyone suggest a good day trip from Girona? Not Barcelona, that will come at the end of the trip. This would have to be something that can be done on the spur of the moment. When you wake up on a cycling trip and it's raining, you make the change from rider to tourist pretty quickly. It's always a good idea to have a couple of plans in your pocket, even if you never use them. We will be staying in a villa outside of town, so we will be renting a car during our visit. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Posted by
2455 posts

For a start:
Figueres - the Dali Museum, etc.
Besalu — ancient medieval village

Posted by
15576 posts

What Larry said, and also maybe the Dali House in Cadaqués

Posted by
27047 posts

Research the Dali Theatre and Museum in Figueres to determine the procedures for buying tickets in advance. I haven't been there, but I think you'd want to hit the internet as soon as you decide to go there to be sure you'd be able to get in.

I believe the Dali house in Portlligat (outside Cadaques) requires pre-booking, and possibly well in advance. Again, I haven't been there, but I saw a sign down by the port in Cadaques, indicating that the walking time was something like 20 minutes. I think it would be farther from the bus station but haven't checked a map to verify. Cadaques is reached by bus from Figueres. It is a very scenic ride, at least the latter part of it is. Cadaques is a very pretty former fishing village, now very touristy, full of white cubic houses dripping with bougainvillea. Now, how that would be on a rainy day, I am not sure. There is a small museum in town that I felt was definitely not worth the time or money, but it has special exhibitions, so it's worth checking to see what's going on.

For Besalu you'd take a bus from Girona. There's no bus station; you're dropped off on the main road not long after you pass the tourist office (visible off to the left) and near the historic center. Return to the bus stop (other side of the road) well before your return bus is due to depart. My bus heading west out of Besalu left at least 8 minutes early.;

I believe Vic is worth a trip.