Please sign in to post.

1 Busy Day in Madrid

Hello Travel gurus!

We arrive in Madrid from overnight flight at 8am on a Saturday. I am trying to figure out how to spend the day until our 4:00 pm train to Puerto Santa Maria.

I will go ahead and acknowledge the jetlag factor and figure we can push through and then sleep on our 3 hour train ride. (BTW- "we" are a couple in our 30's who have done Europe several times and don't mind a good walk)

I don't think we have time for the Prado and husband is not really interested in art that much anyway.

Please give me some idea on how to get to the train station, store bags and alocate our 5-6 hours in town. Good lunch option- anywhere open early since we are getting such an early start, waiting until 1 or 2 might be hard.

Thank you!

Posted by
16893 posts

If not the Prado, then would the Royal Palace interest you as an "official site" (that you pay for)? Otherwise, I suggest following the self-guided walking tour in Rick's Spain 2017 book. By spring, the audio version should be recorded and available at https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours. Or splash out to hire a professional local guide for a walking tour.

See also https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/a-blitz-tour-of-madrid.

Posted by
27053 posts

The Madrid chapter of your guide book will lay out multiple options for getting into town, but I used the Express bus 203, which takes you right to Atocha Station. You pick it up outside Terminal 1.

There's a left luggage office (possibly also lockers) at Atocha Station. Look for signs reading, "Consigna". If you use the office, you need to allow time for there to be a line when you return to retrieve your luggage.

I agree that you shouldn't try to do a big art museum on arrival day. I'd head to the area around the San Miguel Market. That's a great food source where you won't have to wait till 2 PM. The market opens at 10 AM (may differ on holidays), though it probably won't be very lively then. There are all sorts of tapas, including some that are egg-based.

If you need food rapidly, take the Metro from Atocha to Sol, then walk to the market. The Atocha Metro is not inside the rail station. It's on the other side of the traffic circle. It's good to have a map for orientation purposes; I always found that area sort of confusing. You may have to walk a good way before you see a street sign.

After exiting the Metro at Puerta del Sol, you can follow Rick's walking tour of that area or follow Calle Mayor WSW toward the market. Before you reach the market you'll pass very near the Plaza Mayor (off to the left). You should take the opportunity to see it.

After refueling, if you decide you need to spend time outdoors, you can return to the area near Atocha Station and enjoy Retiro Park for free and/or the botanical garden for a small admission charge.

You can walk between Atocha Station and the market in about 30 minutes. I'd do that both ways (taking two different routes) if I weren't starving upon arrival.

Posted by
114 posts

It’s very easy to get from the airport into central Madrid. You can take the metro from terminals 2 or 4. The Aeropuerto bus goes directly to Atocha Station and so does the Cercanias Train, which leaves from Terminal 4. We chose to take the metro when we were there earlier this month and it was very easy to use and navigate.

I second the suggestion for the Royal Palace. It is beautiful and you can spend as much or as little time going through it as you would like. Take the metro from Atocha to Opera and it is a 5-10 minute walk to the Royal Palace. From the Opera Metro stop it is a 5 minute walk to the San Miguel Market. We were there several different times of the day and night and there were always plenty of different foods to choose from. This was actually our preferred location for lunch while we were in Madrid. Lots of food choices and it is cheap but quality food.

On our arrival day into Madrid we did Rick’s Pureta Del Sol to Royal palace Loop walk and really enjoyed it. Being outside and active really seemed to help fight the jet lag. We were so excited to start seeing and experiencing everything which really helped to keep us going. The San Miguel is included in the walk so it would be easy to stop for lunch or snacks and then keep walking. If you chose to do this walk, I recommend purchasing goodies from the cloistered nuns at the Church and convent of Corpus Christi. It was such a fun and unique experience and the cookies were delicious!

Posted by
7175 posts

This is good walking if you are forcing yourself to cope with the effects of jet lag

1 Royal Palace
2 Almudena Cathedral
3 San Francisco el Grande
4 Plaza Mayor
5 Puerta del Sol
6 Plaza Cibeles
7 Puerta del Alcala
8 Retiro Park