Please sign in to post.

Spain Itinerary

My husband and I are going for our 20th anniversary. Our honeymoon was spent in Malaga. We are headed to Spain in October. Our number one destination goal is Barcelona. We ended a mediterranean cruise in Barcelona (2015) and fell in love it. We knew we would return. We plan on renewing our vows on the street near the cathedral.
My thought was to travel by train to Madrid, Sevilla and Granada. But now, I am considering slowing it down a bit and making our way over to Mallorca. I am usually on the go for our European vacations and My husband is getting to the point where he needs more downtime and less walking. I am trying respect that as I will walk all day long.
We are planning on two full weeks. We enjoy walking through charming towns, viewing architecture, definitely eating local, shopping in the markets, visiting cathedrals and checking out the art scene. We really enjoy being amongst the town centers and walking in the evening. I would love to have some advice here on must sees. Advice appreciated.

Posted by
731 posts

I was surprised you hadn't received any feedback, but then I realized this was posted under "Spain Reviews", which is mainly for hotels and restaurants. I think you will get much more visability if you re-post this under "Spain" under the "Destination Q&A" section (and probably delete this post so as to alleviate any confusion).

There are a lot of knowledgeable people over on the Spain forum - good luck, and have a great trip! Happy Anniversary!

Posted by
27112 posts

Definitely heed Dawn's advice and repost in the "Spain" forum. But please also clarify for what places you're seeking sightseeing advice. You've mentioned Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Granada and Palma de Mallorca.

In the meantime, Rick provides his top sightseeing tips for many places on this website. Go here, choose your city, and then click on "At a Glance".

https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/spain

You'll find good suggestions for all the places you mentioned except Palma. I'd also check out Toledo. While it totally justifies a multi-night stay, many people make it a day trip from Madrid. Cordoba is equally good from Seville, though Rick doesn't provide a laundry list of sights for Cordoba here. (It's covered in his guidebook, though.)

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you. I didn’t realize it posted in the wrong spot. It’s been a minute since I’ve used the site. Thanks again.

Posted by
2352 posts

I think definitely include Seville, based on your want for 'charming towns/architecture/cathedrals.' I thought Seville was one of the prettiest places I've ever been to. For art I loved Museo de Bellas Artes de Sevilla.

And then of course there's Madrid for art. The Prado is my favorite art museum I've seen so far.

Here's my recent trip report that goes into more detail https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/trip-report-spain-november-2023