Please sign in to post.

Non alcoholic beers

Hello, my husband doesn’t drink what are the chances of finding n/a beer in Madrid?

Posted by
35 posts

Non alcoholic beer is plentiful in Madrid and Spain, more delicious choices than in the US and can be ordered by the glass draft in many bars and restaurants. Best we’ve ever tried, they call it 0.0!
Take it from two former alcohol beer drinkers!

Posted by
7559 posts

I actually was surprised that nearly every bar had at least a couple types of NA beer. It is usually from one of the big Spanish breweries or a German mega-brand, nothing special, just a big brewery pilsner, but cold.

Posted by
902 posts

Madrid, Barcelona, Granada, Seville, Toledo all had 0.0% beer. My husband was happy. I don't like beer but I actually liked the 0.0% "beer". Btw, it doesn't always appear on the menu. Be sure to ask since in all the restaurants that we ate in, they had it but it wasn't listed on the menu.

Posted by
29 posts

Oh I completely misread that. My husband will be very happy to hear that! Thanks.

Posted by
355 posts

Did not know they existed.

Seems to me a bit like going to The best little whorehouse in Texas and asking for a cappuccino.

Regards Ron

Posted by
501 posts

In Spain it’s known as “cerveza sin” - literally beer without.

Estrella Galicia and San Miguel both do a 0.0% beer (I think it’s about 0.05%). Beer that’s anything below 1% can be described as “sin” so watch out if that little bit makes a difference. It does for me, as someone who can’t drink alcohol without feeling ill. I’m fine with 0.05% but can’t cope with 0.5%!

You shouldn’t have any problem finding bottled non-alcoholic beer in Spain.

Posted by
911 posts

Peroni (Italian), Stella Artois (Belgium) and Heineken (Dutch), all make very good NA beers IMHO. We drink them now and then for a change.

Posted by
29 posts

Golden Girl, yes for him it will definitely make a difference. He only drinks the 0.0. Thanks for pointing that out.

Posted by
313 posts

The NA beers in Spain are better than ANY of the American attempts, including the US microbrewery versions I've tried. In fact, the NA beers in Spain are often as good or better than the Spanish beers "con" alcohol.

After we returned from Spain I asked the beer dude at Whole Foods if the Spanish beers are available. He said no; something about not staying fresh during shipping.