Please sign in to post.

Malaga Spain for a week in April 2017- need recommendation on apt lodging

We are going to be in Malaga next April for a week in between archaeology tours. Since we're going to be there for a week we'd like to stay in an apartment rather than a hotel. Many of the hotels seemed to be booked already due to Semana Santa (Easter Week?), so I think we'll have to look at an apartment. We've been told we should stay somewhere near Alemeda Principal (the principal avenue) and the Paseo Parque. I've looked at VRBO and there seem to be lots of choices. It's just my husband and I and we are light sleepers, so we'd like someplace quiet. We are interested in a mid-priced place (hopefully much less than <$150 per day)
Any suggestions from the community? (We picked a great place in Rome last year based on lodging recommendations from this site.)

Thanks,
Laura

Posted by
15582 posts

I stayed at the Ibis during the first few days of Semana Santa this year. I booked early - but not this early. It's possible that most hotels just don't have their 2017 rates and aren't taking reservations this far in advance. To test this, try booking 2 weeks earlier.

I have mixed feelings about my stay. On the plus side, the price was excellent, €59 prepaid, but paying in advance (long after I had my airline tickets) only saved me about 10%. The location was excellent. The bed was very comfortable. Minuses - the hotel is poorly managed. Maintenance is lax - the first room I was given, the bathroom door was broken and didn't close properly, so switched. That room turned out to be facing a back street with benches where people congregated late at night, drinking, singing, generally making a lot of noise so I didn't sleep well (this was 2 nights before Palm Sunday). In mid-March, the AC wasn't on yet, so I had to open the window. Second night, I got a room facing the town center and it was definitely quieter BUT be aware that the processions continue until 2-3 am and are always accompanied by bands. Thursday night, it's all night long. If you are in the city center, you will hear the music. If you want quiet, you may want to look for a neighborhood that are not on the routes the processions. I think you can still find the routes for this year's processions online - they'll be about the same next year.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you Chani for the info on Easter Week. I found a webpage, as you suggested, with this year's route information. I'll use that as I look for an apartment to rent. From reading the guide books, esp. Rick's on Spain, Easter Week is a really big deal in Spain. We'll take it as an opportunity to get more of the local flavor of Spain and Malaga.