Please sign in to post.

Hotel Continental Barcelona

Just returned from a month in Spain and 6 nights in Barcelona. Hotel Continental was lovely with a good breakfast, friendly staff, and our room was clean and comfortable. Our only issue is that I emailed the hotel several times concerning our initial reservation made last August and addition of 2 more nights, and always received a prompt reply except for my multiple requests for the 5% "Rick Steves discount." I followed all the guidelines, booked directly with the hotel, sent repeated requests for the discount, but the subject was never addressed in any of the return emails. It's not a huge deal as it's only about €60 for the 6 nights, but I feel that if they have agreed to extend that discount to Rick's readers, they need to honor it.

Posted by
7811 posts

What a bummer pjh131.

Please help us here in the forum also by telling us if you reported this 5% "Rick Steves discount." snafu to Rick Steves Europe and that they are going to correct it in the guide book or on the internet site where you found the discount published so this does not happen again.

Posted by
24 posts

I will be staying at the Continental Hotel in Barcelona in a week.

Sorry to hear your discount was not successful.

I am happy to hear they have a good breakfast and that your room was clean and comfortable.
Hope we like our stay there.

If you have anything more to share about the hotel, I would love to hear more.
Thank you!

Posted by
16893 posts

Aside from the emails, did you discuss this issue with hotel staff when you were there in person? I'd say that the discount has been discontinued. It's not mentioned in the latest editions of RS Spain and Barcelona books, which came out last November.

Posted by
2026 posts

Just for the record, when we stayed here a couple of years ago we knew nothing about a discount for RS folks. As I was walking out one morning, the clerk noticed my RS guidebook in my hand. He stopped me, and told me there was a discount and that he would apply it to our bill, and he did. A very pleasant surprise, and mind you, initiated entirely by the hotel staff. Sounds like there has been a change as Laura notes. We enjoyed our stay; especially our balcony room where we enjoyed watching the Ramble on the Rambla each evening....with our complimentary plastic cups of wine. It may be a bit quirky...our room was Pepto Bismal pink with plastic end tables, but the price was right, the location fantastic and the staff friendly and helpful.

Posted by
2 posts

Hi, I'd like to know, can i go there with my boyfriend? Do you accept gay-couples?)

Posted by
2 posts

The hotel is very friendly, clean, and comfortable and beautifully decorated. I cannot imagine anyone who works there caring who you love or the gender of whomever you check in with.