Please sign in to post.

Hostel Grau - Barcelona - March 2014 - an absolute hidden gem

Pros:

• Very friendly and extremely helpful staff
  • Freshly remodeled, eco-friendly and simple rooms that were very comfortable
  • Great café (Cafe Centric) adjacent to the hotel, but breakfast buffet was underwhelming given the 12 Euro price (venture out for 3 euro crossiant and café con leche instead)
  • Very convenient location to Las Ramblas and Placa de Catalunya,
  • Lots of great food options within a short walk of the hotel

Cons:

• Very, very noisy at night if your room is on the alley, which I think most of them are, despite the double glazed windows (I wore earplugs every night and was still woken by the noise
  • No phones or TVs in the rooms (we did not miss either of them, but some of you might)
  • The remodel is still ongoing, so there are little things here and there that aren't complete but it did not impact our stay at all
  • Wi-Fi was pretty unreliable, which actually was a negative given that we don't use our smartphones while in Europe due to the high charges for roaming, and like to Skype with our family back home, look up sightseeing hours, etc.
  • Not close to a Metro stop, and difficult for taxis to get to it, so if you have large (or many) bags just be aware that you will have a walk from Placa de Catalunya
Posted by
1 posts

NOt quite a gem. The renovations are not finished and there is visually no furniture in the room other than the bed and two tee stamps at end tables. Since we got a non-refundable room we are stuck here for the rest of our stay and could have used a lbit more amenities for our last few days. BUT the manager has tried and is upgrading us to a larger room at no cost. Go for the larger rooms unless all you have is backpack. The safe is very nice and helpful. All in all I still give a four out of five. LMK