Please sign in to post.

Venice to Ljubljana

Trying to figure out best and most economical way to get from Venice to Ljubljana to start our Rick Steve's tour. Go Opti seems to be an option- but it's pricy if you want to have a more definite departure time - the cheaper ones say they leave between 6-am and 10am or something like that- do you get an actual designated pick-up time if you book with them?
Has anyone tried DRD? This seems to be a bus that leaves from the Mestre train station and takes about 3 hours and is 25 Euro. But I think I found a bad review from someone- they couldn't find the bus....
Train seems to be complicated and perhaps not even possible since there is info about the tram between Trieste and Villa Opicina being out of service.
Flights are quite expensive.
Getting a car sounds like it might be pricy too due to renting in one country and dropping it off in another.

Posted by
23 posts

We used DRD from Venice to Ljubljana September 2016. We departed from Mestre station at noon and were in Ljubljana by 3:00. The mini bus was easy to find: parked right where we were told they would be and well marked. We paid 25 euros per person; the English speaking driver even drove us from the bus station in Ljubljana where he stopped to the pedestrian area near our hotel. I highly recommend this company.

Posted by
27041 posts

I don't know when you're traveling. Flixbus serves that route at least once a day. Fares vary by day and by how far in advance tickets are purchased. I have no personal experience with Flixbus, but it seems to have a rather extensive route network.

This web page mentions some other options involving multiple modes of transportation.

Posted by
470 posts

Flixbus is a low-cost bus operator, akin to Megabus. I would not use them for very long routes (nor any other bus to be honest), but Venice to Ljubljana should be fine, if their schedule works for you. DRD has had some bad reviews in the past as they did not use the official bays at the Mestre station and their buses/shuttles were difficult to locate, as well as not running when there were no prebooked passengers, stranding some customers who hoped to buy the ticket onboard. I am glad to hear they have improved their service, per Sharon's experience.

Go Opti will provide you with an exact pickup time the day before your departure date, if I am not mistaken. You definitely do not need to wait for them at the pickup point for 4 hours. You can specify a fixed arrival or departure time, so if you are flexible on one or both of them, it will probably end up being the cheapest option.

The train option should be the most comfortable, but now that the Opicina tram is not running, it will require a local bus transfer between Trieste and Villa Opicina, not the most convenient solution with luggage. The option through Villach is also a bit of an excessive detour, so I would not recommend it.