Please sign in to post.

Trip Planning

I know there are a couple of threads on trip planning but I have some specific questions. We are traveling mid may arrive in the capital on May 17 leaving May 27. We love the outdoors but not sure if we will be too early for the mountains and Soco Valley. I would like some ideas on itinerary. Two of us early 60s but active. I do not want to cook so nearby restaurants are important (breakfast included with lodging). Any and all suggestions are welcome. Jeanie

Posted by
3835 posts

Hi, Jeanie. Crickets, eh? I haven't been in Slovenia during May, but I found a couple of things with a Google search. Here is an article about Slovenia in May. Here is an article about the Soča Valley in spring.

It looks like it's probably best to put the mountains at the end of your trip. Are you planning to rent a car during part of the trip?

Posted by
105 posts

Yes plan on renting a car. I am interested in any of the mountain locations. I am unsure of weather in May. Have been doing some research. I am enjoying reading the input on other itinerary's that are posted here.

Posted by
3835 posts

Jeanie... see my post in this thread: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/slovenia/where-to-spend-7-nights-in-slovenia-mountains-2nd-week-of-may

You essentially have 10 nights. I don't know your pace of travel, but for me, that would be 3 stops at most. I would tend to go with Ljubljana x 3-4 nights, Soča Valley x 3 nights, and Bled/Bohinj x 3-4 nights. It's a 1-hour drive from the far end of Lake Bohinj to the airport; it's 25 minutes from Bled (during low-traffic times like early morning). So it's easy to end your trip there.

You can drive the Vršič Pass between the Soča Valley and Kobarid. If for some reason it is closed (e.g., late season snow storm), you can drive to Most na Soči to catch the Motorail to Bohinjsa Bistrica. It's a train that you drive your car onto, and then it goes through the mountains instead of over them to get to the Bohinj area. I thought it was great fun.