Please sign in to post.

Travel in Slovenia

We will be touring Austria in the late September-October timeframe. We will be in Klagenfurt and would like to see Lake Bled which is very close. I know that Slovenia is in the EU, but are they on the Euro. Are there any restrictions we need to know before we go. We will traveling by car. Thanks in advance.
Earl

Posted by
1412 posts

You are talking about a day trip? Definately ride the little plinka boat to the church island in middle of lake. We did not tour that church. We did tour the castle, that ticket gave us a percentage off our lunch which paid for the beverage. That was my favorite meal of the whole trip, amazing views of the whole area, great food.
We found the signage in Slovenia confusing, but we arrived after dark, tired and cranky. Are you ok w mountain driving?

Posted by
27111 posts

Slovenia does use the euro. I think you'll need some sort of road-tax sticker for your car. If you rent outside Slovenia, it will probably not already be on the car when you pick it up.

Ljubljana is a very attractive city, small for a capital, and quite close to Lake Bled.

Posted by
470 posts

Yes, using the euro for a decade now and in Schengen, too. Like Austria, Slovenia also uses the vignette system, so you will need to buy a toll sticker (€15) from a gas station or at the border. From Klagenfurt to Bled, if you go over Loibl Pass instead of through the Karawanken Tunnel, you don't actually have to take the highway and therefore buy the vignette, but if you will be navigating on your own without a GPS it will be difficult to find your way by avoiding the highways as the back roads generally only signpost nearby towns and villages, whereas signs for long distance destinations will often lead back to highways.

Do try to get to nearby Lake Bohinj, too, a pristine undeveloped lake, in contrast with Lake Bled. And if you can spare a few days, Ljubljana, the capital, is a lovely city. All within 60 miles of Klagenfurt.

Posted by
3 posts

Be sure you have a vignette sticker on your car. Its a permit to drive on Slovenia's highways. Easy to purchase at any gas station. We got nailed last year for not having one on our car. Fine was 150EU!

Lake Bled is gorgeous!