Please sign in to post.

Travel from Venice to Ljubljana

We’re traveling from Venice to Ljubljana. Any advice about flying vs taking trains?

Posted by
6363 posts

The fastest way, assuming the schedules match, is a train from Venice to Trieste and then a coach from Trieste to Ljubljana.

Posted by
8367 posts

I haven’t taken it myself yet, but many positive reports about go-opti shuttle for this transfer on the forum and I plan to use this method.

Posted by
374 posts

I’ve taken go-opti twice on the route your looking at. It is a good option. In Venice you are picked up/dropped off in piazza roma. In Ljubljana it was near the bus station or you could pay more and get left at a specific address. The earlier you make reservations the more reasonable the price. Also you can select different times. No reason to take a plane and with a train change not practical either.

Posted by
2738 posts

If you are thinking of flying, keep in mind that Ljubljana Airport is 25 miles north of the town. It is served by a bus that takes about 50 minutes rot the bus station at the north end of town. You can get a taxi or car hire that will be about half that time, but considerably more expensive. Fastest option by far considering time lost to get to Venice airport and then wait for plane, as well as least expensive, would be Go-Opti.

Posted by
6363 posts

If you are thinking about flying, you should also note that there are no direct flights so you'll need to change plane somewhere (probably Munich or Zürich). So flying will probably take around 7-8 hours.

Also, if you have the time, stopping in Trieste is not the worst way to spend your time.

Posted by
3961 posts

Another vote for GoOpti. We did a shared ride from Piazzale Roma to the main railway station in Ljubljana. It was a short walk to town. The driver was punctual, & the the van was comfortable. We were pleased with the service and would use GoOpti again. We were In Ljubljana 4 nights and didn’t want to leave. Our favorite city on our tour! GoOpti.com

Posted by
3160 posts

Another option is FlixBus directly from the airport to the train station. Trip takes 3 1/2 hours, no changes, buying tix ahead of time saves money.

Posted by
41 posts

I've taken the train from Venice-Ljubljana, with a stop in Trieste for a few days. It's a beautiful route, especially around Trieste where the scenery goes wild.

Posted by
1220 posts

We are doing this too next summer, but in reverse. Lake Bled to Venice. We are planning on using goopti or a similar service.

Posted by
11153 posts

Friend just used GoOpti from to Ljubljana to Venice and there was no check or stop at Italian border, drove right through.