Please sign in to post.

Train from Ljubljana to Munich

We are thinking about taking the train from Ljubljana to Munich and wonder if it is a scenic ride. Any suggestions?

Posted by
78 posts

Yes, it is a scenic ride, but my experience taking the train out of Ljubljana was less than ideal - first of all, it was pouring rain when the cab dropped me off at the Ljubljiana station (I was coming from Lake Bled) - I then found out that the train that was supposed to connect with the main train to Munich wasn't running that day. So, I decided to take a cab to the town where that train would be leaving from. When I got there, I had to take a bus to drop me off at the main station. It was a nightmare. Hopefully you will have better luck!

Posted by
5687 posts

It's important to double check the train schedules and also check for train construction warnings and delay alerts - probably on the websites of the train company that runs those trains. Or ask at the train station and see if they can check for you.

If I were headed to Munich from Ljubljana and the planned train I wanted wasn't headed to Munich that day, I'd look for alternatives. Probably, I would have taken one of the later trains to Villach, Austria or something - or maybe take a bus up there. Or, look at a direct bus from Ljubljana. I know FlixBus runs a direct bus sometimes. Best to be prepared and know your travel options between cities ahead of time.

Posted by
1 posts

Has anyone taken the bus from Lake Bled to Munich as an alternative to the train? It appears that it is only 5 1/2 hours and the price is less than the train without any apparent transfers.