Please sign in to post.

Slovenia Trip Report

So many RS members were helpful as I prepared a week's visit with my wife. We are a late 50's couple. I write this so other folks considering a visit to Slovenia can build on our experience and also to show how easy travel is to this lovely country.
Day 1...After a week in Budapest we arrived Ljubljana on Sunday , 8/12 at 1:00pm via Flixbus. We had paid an extra fee ATET car rental to have an agent wait for us; the office usually closes at noon on Sundays. We finished the paperwork and inspection and were on our way to Postonja by 2:00pm. We arrived in less than an hour and checked in at the Jama hotel. The place was packed with tourists; the front desk suggested we take the LAST tour into the Postonja Cave at 6:00pm. Since we had time to kill, we drove into town had a delightful lunch. Upon our return we arrived at the Cave a little before 6 and joined the English speaking tour. The cave was a really good experience - it is immense and shows beautifully - great colors. You take a train about 1.5 km into the mountain and then walk through the cave for about an hour; this cave is made for tourists, people wanting a more natural experience should look elsewhere. But we had a great time -
Dinner afterwards at Jama hotel veranda was delicious andrelaxing.
Day 2...Monday, arrived Predjama Castle (10 mins away) around 9:00-9:30am. We took the castle self-guided tour. Because we were early, we parked very close to the castle. It is a nice hour or so of walking about the old building; it's interesting.
Next on our itinerary was Bled, however, we did not take the more direct route - rather we drove through hills/valleys/small towns/forests/rivers via: Predjama to Podkraj to Col to Mrzli log to Crnl Vrh to Godovic to Idrija...this was a white knuckle fun drive, especially for the 10 mins we lost google on a dirt road (only unpaved for 10-15 mins) but otherwise we had no issues with GPS! From Idrija we drove through Ziri - Gorenja Vas - to Skofja Loka (beautiful) to Kropa (lunch) then onto Bled. We arrived Bled about 4-5:00 pm and checked into Penzion Meyer. We walked around the lake (beautiful) and had dinner at Meyer. I cannot tell you how impressed we were with the menu, dinner and service here - I was a tad fatigued from the drive - and a quiet outdoor dinner was perfect.
Day 3...Tuesday, arrived at Vintgar Gorge about 9 to beat the busses! The Gorge was a favorite spot during this trip. This is generally an easy walk on a wooden walkway alongside a river in a deep gorge. Great pictures – arrive EARLY – much better without a crowd!! We then drove to Radovljica - a walled city with beautiful vistas - we had a very nice lunch there - so glad we stopped here!. We pushed ourselves and drove to Lake Bohinj - where I swam in a glacial lake. Dinner in Bled that evening at Ostarij Peglez'n - much fun - fine food -
Day 4...Wednesday. We left Bled at 6:00am, Meyer packed us a breakfast for the trip. We headed to the Vrsic Pass. Another wonderful driving experience enhanced by going early - to avoid traffic and buses. We drove through Bovec and entered Kobarid. We walked through the WWI museum and then drove onward to Trieste. We arrived Trieste about 2:00pm - we checked into the Savoie Hotel (a splurge) and had lunch and dinner in the city. It was a holiday and we were awarded a prime view of fireworks from our Adriatic facing balcony.
Day 5/6/7...Thursday –Saturday (noon). Thursday we spent in Piran from 10:30-1:30pm. We walked through the city, saw the sites then drove about 1,5-2.0 hrs to Ljubljana. We returned the rental without issue. We then spent the next 2 days enjoying the sights, sounds, food, wine and flavor of Ljubljana. It is a delightful city - our only tourist endeavor a visit to the Contemporary Art Museum and Metalkova and a funicular ride to the castle overlooking the city. Two favorite spots: Breakfast and/or lunch at China House Tea Store. Dinner: Valvas'or.
All in all Slovenia is a delight & an easy visit!

Posted by
5687 posts

Glad to hear it all worked out, Don. Slovenia should be on everyone's list. (Though in some ways I guess I'm glad it's still not!)

How was the FlixBus ride from Budapest? People sometimes ask about that vs. taking the train, which would be my preference, even though it is longer, because I'm not crazy about the long bus rides. I took FlixBus from Ljubljana to Trieste last year and it was OK, but it was a much shorter ride.

Posted by
148 posts

Andrew - The bus left Budapest at 7:00am and arrived LJ about 1:00pm, 6 hours as advertised. We paid slightly more and reserved seats right behind the driver, it allowed for a better view in all directions providing for some pleasant distraction. The bus was clean and the drive effortless - the two drivers (they would switch every 1.5 hrs) spoke only Italian, so no chitchat. There was a 10-15 min stop in Maribor and a shorter one in Siofok.
RS book said that LJ was sleepy on a Sunday so we decided to pick up the car upon arrival and drive to Postonja hoping to see either the cave or the castle that day - that worked out perfectly - in fact, we probably could have seen Predjama and Postonja Sunday.
I looked at the train but the 9 hr ride (if my memory is right) really turned me off.

Posted by
3835 posts

Hi, Don. A belated thanks for your trip report. I'm working on a trip to Slovenia for fall 2019. I appreciate the time you took to provide this helpful information. Thanks again!

Posted by
408 posts

Thanks for the report.
We are looking forward to our upcoming 11 days in Slovenija this September.