Please sign in to post.

Munich to Ljubljana by Train

I'm on the Adriatic tour in October and think I want to take the train from Munich to Ljubljana. Has anyone
done this and do you have recommendations for reservations, etc.?

Can you take a local train from the Munich airport to the train station?

Thank you

Posted by
20102 posts

Does not look like the direct train will be operating in October. But that could change, so I think you will have to wait a few months to see the schedule.

Yes, there is a train from the airport to the main station every 10 minutes.

Posted by
27122 posts

For a trip of that length I'd prefer a train, but there is Flixbus service between Munich and Ljubljana that might save a few minutes over the train trip. I made that bus trip (though I think it wasn't on Flixbus) back in 2015. Just in case you want to know all your options.

Posted by
48 posts

Your best bet is to book through OBB, Austrian Airlines. Their online schedules come up late, usually not until about 3 months early, but here's what we took late September 2022...

08:16 From München Hbf
Railjet 111RJ Express Train 211D

6 h 15 min, 1 x change: Villach Hbf
14:31 Arrive Ljubjana

Posted by
8383 posts

Just to throw in another option, in case your plans change. I took Air Dolomiti from Munich to Ljubljana and it was very efficient. It was a clear day so the views flying over the Alps were amazing. GoOpti provides a shuttle in from Ljubljana airport that will drop you right at the hotel.

I know you are going to love this tour!!

Posted by
187 posts

For train tickets check out German or Austrian railway operator.
Tickets for October are not yet bookable but should become available soon. Simply take the better offer.
https://www.oebb.at/en/
https://www.bahn.com/en

I can see 4 trains per day in October. 3 train connections during day time (6:15 h) and one night train (EN 40237).
For a 6 h journey I would prefer the train over a bus. Specifically on weekends the highways would be very busy with possible severe delays due to traffic jam.

If your schedule allows, of course you could split the journey in the middle and stay a night in Gastein valley. It’s a beautiful mountain valley with a lot of touristic infrastructure.
In Bad Gastein you could change directly from the train station into to gondola up to Stubnerkogel.

Posted by
18 posts

I’m going on the Adriatic tour next month. I’m traveling from Munich to Ljubliana by train. A direct train leaves from Munich at 12:15 and arrives in Ljubliana at 18:32. Download the DB app ( Duetchbahn - sp?) it’s great for showing trains in lots of countries- not just Germany.
I’ll have two nights before my tour starts and as I’m going to be traveling on my own for this leg of my journey, the RS tour hotel in Ljubliana (Hotel Mrak) was a bit too pricey for a single to stay two nights (124 euros per night for a single) so I’m splitting the difference and will stay in Villach Austria for one night which is about an hour and a half away from Ljubliana. l’ll stay in B&B Hotel near the train station for 60 euros and Villach looks like a pretty town.
Happy travels- I’m looking forward to the tour!
Cheryl