Please sign in to post.

Lake Bled accommodations

We will be there for three nights next September. I like the looks of Pension Mayer, Pension Berc, and Hotel Garni Berc. if you have stayed at any of these, what did you think?

Posted by
1829 posts

You should have ample time to make your decision don't think Sept of 2017 will book very far out.
Am staying at Vila Bled in a couple of weeks, I looked at all options and it just stood out to me for it's history and great views.
Rick has an episode on Slovenia where he stays here.
They have free row boat rentals for reaching the island which is close from their shores.
Private swimming/beach area as well but suspect Sept. the water will be too cold for that.
Location wise it is in a more secluded spot which is better for views, closer to the trails above the lake but means less restaurants are around and is going to be further from town/castle, etc...
Of course after I actually stay there I may not speak positively about it so take my advise accordingly.

Posted by
16254 posts

Thank you. There will be an international Masters' rowing race going on at the time ( the reason we are going) so I believe things will book up quickly. I would like to get it all sorted soon!

I did look at the Vila you mention, but if I recall correctly, it is more expensive than the three I list.

Posted by
1412 posts

we stayed at mulej bled tourist farm 2 nights,,,,, its about a mile out of town (which we walked).....lovely, quiet, excellent breakfast. they also have apts available.

Posted by
16254 posts

The farm sounds nice, but we will need to be close to the lake to watch and/or participate in the rowing competition.

Posted by
1166 posts

Penzion Berc was awesome. We were minutes from the lake, their breakfasts were delicious as were the dinners, and the free bikes were a plus for biking the lake.

Posted by
1829 posts

Just returned from our stay at Vila Bled if you have any questions.
Quite amazing property and loved the amenities. Our room was enormous. Location wise I really liked it for the views, we had a car so could easily drive into town for dinner or to the castle if we wanted instead of walking.

In Sept. the lake is quite slow, was surprised by the lack of crowds overall and the hotel felt half full at best.
The staff there is kind of aloof, so service was never bad, there were there if needed just not over the top great service.
I liked that the place felt partially disserted.

One recommendation is Pizzeria Rustica (their Buffalo mozz pizzas) ; we went there one evening, loved it so much we returned the next night and ordered the exact same thing!!! My wife thought it was the best pizza she had ever had, ever in her life not just this trip, and we sandwiched Slovenia in between Italian stops on the same trip so quite amazing that the best pizza on the trip was in Slovenia!

Posted by
470 posts

Vila Bled has a special charm indeed. It's a government-run hotel (it's used for state functions) with a dated 50's decor. Since the fall of communism, places like that have all but disappeared and it's refreshing that Vila Bled still exists in its own little bubble, it's quite an experience.

What an interesting observation regarding the pizza. That said, speaking from my own experience, while most of the best pizzas I ever had were indeed in Italy, it's also the country where I had probably the worst pizza ever.

Posted by
16254 posts

Thank you for the recent comments. I will take another look at Villa Bled to see if the location might work, but also will contact Pension Berc. The location will be all-important if my husband will actually compete; less so if we are going as spectators and cheerleaders for a friend.

Good to know about the pizza---that is my husband's favorite meal, and he has pretty high standards for it. We make a pretty good thin-crust pizza ourselves---having some tonight, in fact.

Posted by
191 posts

HI

Let me cast a big vote for Pension Mayer. Just spent two nights there-wonderful, clean and cozy. Had a really good meal in restaurant there as well. You won`t be sorry

Mike
DC

Posted by
16254 posts

Thanks, Mike. I ended up Bookimg at Penzion Kaps as they are one of the few that does not require a full week stay and/or wire transfer deposit during the rowing event. But we will be sure to dine at Pension Mayer, thanks to your recommendation.

Posted by
1914 posts

We stayed at Pension Kaps and loved it. It was clean, an easy walk to the lake, and a breakfast that is really more like dinner! Highly recommend them. The owners were very nice and helpful, and they suggested we put Vintgar Gorge at the top of our list. They were right...it was amazing.

Posted by
16254 posts

Thanks for the validation of Pension Kaps. Did you have a car? We will not.

Posted by
1914 posts

Yes, we did, so I don't know anything about their public transportation. But, it is beautiful and you'll have a marvelous time. The owners are extremely helpful if you have any questions.

We were there at the end of a four week busy trip and decided we wanted some down time. Even though Kaps is a new house, across the street away from the house is an older hotel. We found out they had a spa, so my daughter and I decided on massages for a bit of relaxation. This was our first experience with a European massage or spa day. Atfer hesterical laughing......won't pass on the details, but let's just say we have memories that will last a lifetime!

Posted by
427 posts

Have a great time! We also enjoyed Pension Mayer and Pizzeria Rustika. We didn't have a car when we stayed there and managed just fine. If you like adventure, the luge up on the hill is a lot of fun. Enjoy your trip!