Hello all! I'm planning my first trip to continental Europe for late November. I snagged an amazing deal flying in and out of Vienna, but I'll be spending the majority of the trip in Slovenia and I'd like some feedback on my itinerary before I start booking accommodations.
I have a general idea of things I was to see and do each day but I don't like to schedule every minute. I'm mostly after natural splendor in Slovenia and interesting historical/cultural spots in Vienna. Bratislava seemed like a fun side trip that's close enough to the airport for an overnight stay. Are there any must-dos that I haven't mentioned, or really great restaurants I shouldn't miss?
I know it'll be the off-season - is Piran still worth visiting, or should I cut it and add a day in Croatia instead? And I'll be contending with limited daylight, so I'll be starting early each morning and don't want to schedule much, if any, driving after dark.
About me: I'm a budget solo traveler who enjoys a good clean hostel and an occasional splurge on a nice dinner. When I'm in a new place I like to try new foods, find a geocache or two, check out a museum, go for a hike, or just wander the streets and take it all in.
- Day 1: Arrive Vienna airport afternoon, GoOpti to Ljubljana - sleep in Ljubljana
- Day 2: Full day in Ljubljana - Castle, Old Town, Slovene Ethnographic Museum - sleep in Ljubljana
- Day 3: Rent car - hiking/sightseeing in Lake Bled, Vintgar Gorge, Lake Bohinj - sleep in Bohinj
- Day 4: Morning tour of Skocjan Caves, Piran in afternoon/evening - sleep in Piran
- Day 5: Sunrise walk along coast - return car in Ljubljana, evening train to Vienna - sleep in Vienna
- Day 6: Vienna - Hofburg, St. Stephen's Cathedral - sleep in Vienna
- Day 7: Vienna - Schonbrunn Palace & Christmas Market - sleep in Vienna
- Day 8: Morning train to Bratislava - Bratislava Castle & Old Town - sleep in Bratislava
- Day 9: Airport for morning flight home
I appreciate any and all advice!