Please sign in to post.

International Drivers license

Do we need in international drivers license to rent a car in slovenia?

Posted by
6708 posts

From RS page

" It’s a good idea to get one if you’ll be driving in Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, or Spain — countries where you’re technically required to carry a permit, since you could be fined if found without one. If all goes well, you’ll likely never be asked to show this permit — but it’s a must if you end up dealing with the police."

Better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it. And actually it's an IDP (International Driving Permit). You can do a search on this forum if you want further comments.

Posted by
373 posts

I would just go to AAA and get one. It's easy, just take a passport sized photo, your current license and the $$ and you will have it in a few minutes. I don't think we showed it in Slovenia, but we were asked to show it at the border crossings between Croatia and Montenegro. First time anyone ever asked to see it. You just never know.

Posted by
470 posts

If you have a US driving licence, then yes, by law you need an IDP. However, I've never heard of anyone actually being asked to produce one in Slovenia. That said, better safe than sorry, especially since it's not too expensive.

Posted by
4535 posts

It is rare to be asked for your IDP. But it is also rare to be pulled over and asked for your drivers license. But if you don't have it, yikes!

Posted by
31746 posts

Given the very small cost of an I.D.P. and the potentially large cost of not having one if asked to produce it, it would seem to be logical to have one.

One point to note is that an I.D.P. is not a license per se, but rather a translation of the terms of your home D.L. You must also pack your normal D.L. along on the trip.