Please sign in to post.

Feedback sought on itinerary - 2 weeks in May/June 2022

Below is a tentative itinerary for my 2 of us in Slovenia this spring. It’s an active plan with 4 full-day hikes, 4 short hikes, and 1 full-day bike ride. We will likely skip some of these because of weather, exhaustion, or just realizing we’d rather do something else.

We welcome any suggestions – changes to the itinerary, hotels, restaurants, etc. We love food, especially regional specialties. We are more interested in experiences (cultural as well as sporty) than sightseeing.

Thu 5/26 – We arrive in Ljubljana (actually, I arrive the previous day). Stay at Hotel Heritage.

Fri 5/27 – Ljubljana including market.

Sat 5/28 – Pick up rental car at airport. Drive north and hike Velika Planina from the east side. Drive to Bled and stay at Bled Rose Hotel.

Sun 5/29 – Hike Golica. Stay at Koča na Golici hut on mountain.

Mon 5/30 – Descend and drive back to Bled. Short hike to Velika Osojnica. Stay at Old Parish House in Bled.

Tue 5/31 – Visit Lake Bohinj. Short hike to Rudnica. Stay in Bled.

Wed 6/1 – Drive to Vrsic Pass and short hike to Slemenova Špica. Stay at Apartment TOBI in Bovec.

Thu 6/2 – TBD, maybe wine tasting. Dinner at Hiša Franko. Stay in Bovec.

Fri 6/3 – Rent mountain bikes and ride in Soča Valley. Stay in Bovec.

Sat 6/4 – Hike Krasji vrh. Stay at Aldila Art Rooms in Kojsko.

Sun 6/5 – Cherry Festival in Dobrovo including short hike. Stay at Aldila Art Rooms.

Mon 6/6 – Hike Sviščaki-Snežnik. Stay ay Postojna Cave Rooms in Postojna.

Tue 6/7 – Maybe see Postojna Caves. Drive to Ptuj and stay at MuziKafe.

Wed 6/8 – Ptuj.

Thu 6/9 – Lunch at Hiša Denk. Drive to Ljubljana, return car, and stay at Dvor Jezersek Brnik near airport.

Fri 6/10 – Early morning flights home.

I've created a list of alltrails maps for all the above hikes as well as several others that we are considering, though note that some have different names and we might not follow the precise routes on these maps.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
3847 posts

Hi, Bruce. Welcome to the forum. The trip is coming soon, so I'm thinking it's hard to change too much at this point. Overall, the itinerary looks good -- there is more movement than I personally like, but that is individual preference, and I think your itinerary is manageable for someone who likes to move. One simple thing to think about is trading Postonja Cave for Škocjan Caves. It sounds like you are a natury person. Škocjan caves is more of a natural experience -- Postonja Cave is a bit more of a "cave attraction" complete with train to get you into the cave. The Slovenians with whom I spoke recommended Škocjan Caves over Postonja Cave, so I did the former. Zero regret. It was awesome.

Also... you may consider picking up a rental care in Ljubljana instead of trekking out to the airport. Ljubljana is fairly small and is a very easy place to drive. I picked up my car at the airport after a stay at nearby Kranj, but I dropped it off on a Saturday at a "downtown" Ljubljana site. Again, driving was very easy (and I'm anxious about driving in other countries).

My 25 days in Slovenia in 2019: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/25-days-in-slovenia

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks, Dave, for your comments and your incredible trip report. Our plans are all changeable and I will see about incorporating some of the things you liked. One question comes to mind already: given our interest in hiking in the areas I've listed, but our willingness to change our itinerary, are there any exceptional highlights (towns, activities, guides, etc.) from your trip that you would most suggest we try to work into ours?

I looked at picking up the car downtown but the deal we found is at the airport, and that's sort of on the way to where we'll be heading that day anyway. At the end of the trip, we fly out very early so we need to return it the night before.

As for caves, having recently seen great caves in Spain, we don't feel compelled to go to these, but if we see any, we'll try for Škocjan.