I'm trying to plan our family trip for this July and one of the day trips from Ljub I'd like to do is some combination of the caves, castle and Piran. I know for sure I want to visit Skocjan cave. So the original plan was Skocjan and then hit Piran for the rest of the day. But since the castle is on the way, I figured we could stop by the castle for a tour and then hit, Skocjan and Piran. But now I'm thinking that it would be crazy to not do the Postojna cave so long as we're in that area. But 2 caves + castle + Piran feels like it may be trying to do too much in one day. Several questions here.
- Is the castle worth visiting (2 kids with us, 14 and 11)?
- If we're seeing the Skocjan cave, is it worth the extra time and money to see Postojna as well?
- Is it realistic to do all of this in one day or should I choose between 2 caves + castle and 1 cave + Piran?
- We're going to be making our way down the Croatian coast later on our trip and will stay a few nights in Dubrovnik. Since we're seeing a coastal city, is that extra 1/2 day to Piran really worth it (vs doing an extra cave and maybe castle)?
- Can tickets for the caves and castle be purchased in advance? Would that be a good idea? Or do you purchase them at the door? I'm worried about it being high season in July and having to wait in long lines (or is it never that bad?).
Thanks for your input.