Please sign in to post.

a family reunion on a budget for 7 or 8 adults in Slovenia

In September/October of 2018, we are planning a family reunion (coming from UK, USA, Ukr all total 7 or 8 adults) in Slovenia. I'm not sure about flights but we, probably, would start from Ljubljana. From reading the forum, it is difficult to decide what would be the most optimal way to plan 10 DAYS TRIP in order to see the attractions and beauty of the country. The major interests are: to see lakes and castles, caves and go on a wine tour. Considering the number of people, are there any suggestions how to plan the itinerary, which sightseers to include, what is better - rent a car or use public transportation. Everyone is an adult in our group, and the age range is from 17- 72.
Thank you for the suggestions.
oksana

Posted by
5687 posts

I think I'd be inclined to hire a driver for a few days (or some sort of tour) and use public transportation the rest of the time. With four people I'd say rent a car; with eight, you'd either need two cars or a van - and I'm not sure I'd want to drive a big vehicle around some of the more narrow roads in rural Slovenia. (I'm sure locals do, but they are obviously familiar with the roads.) If you think you would be OK splitting up into two cars, I'd say driving isn't a big deal. You wouldn't have to rent cars the whole time - or even just for a day or two here and there.

If you have ten days, I'd call that nine nights(?) in Slovenia. You could do 3 nights in Ljubljana, 3 nights at Lake Bled or Lake Bohinj (Bled is much more developed and touristy; Bohinj is more of a "back to nature" experience). Maybe a drive over the Vrsic Pass (assume it's open and new major snow by early October) around the Julian Alps into the Soca Valley - stay in Kobarid or Bovec (maybe 1-2 nights depend in options for wine etc. - sorry, can't help you much with that). Stop and see one of the cave systems. And then a night back in Ljubljana at the end. You could also START up at Bled (not far from Ljubljana airport) and end in Ljubljana - and not split up your nights there.

Some might mention Slovenia's tiny coastal towns like Piran - but you haven't mentioned that. Piran is lovely - you could sneak over there for a night perhaps if you have rental cars and take a night from somewhere else.

You'll need rental cars or a tour to do the Vrsic Pass part. You could get between Airport-Ljubljana-Bled-Bohinj by bus though having a car lets you stop in more towns and do more scenic drives you may miss on a bus.