Please sign in to post.

7 Day Itinerary in Sept.2023

Hello! Thanks first of all for your helpful input on this forum! After reading posts I decided to alter our itinerary to include a farm stay in Logarska Dolina, instead of the Bovec region. We are 2 couples in our early 60's, in good health and fit, interested in outdoor beauty, hiking (mild-moderate difficulty), biking, waterfalls, meeting new friends, and history. Our dates are Sept. 19 - Oct. 2, having 7 days in Slovenia, then on to Croatia. Looking for advice on whether enough time is allowed for each place without rushing, and on the specific questions highlighted below. And anything else you may want to add!

Day 1 arrive in Ljubljana @10:25 a.m-Visit TI, get oriented, YUM tour, early to bed - 2 nights

Day 2 Ljubljana town tour, visit Joze Plecnik house?, Market, people watching, boat to Castle?

Day 3 Check out, rent car and drive to Bled, Vintgar Gorge, Vogel Cable car, (other hikes?) Sleep in Lake Bohinj - 2 nights

Day 4 Drive Vrsic Pass with stops along the way for hikes, take in the view, etc.

Day 5 Drive 2.5 hrs to Logarska Dolina, drive Panoramic road (how long for that?) Sleep at Farm - 2 nights

Day 6 Hikes in the area (Interested in suggestions or a resource - in my search, All Trails didn't have anything for that region), possibly Velika Planina

Day 7 Travel back to Ljubljana, turn in rental car and head to Zagreb via Go Opti, train, or bus (any thoughts?) to rent a car and drive to Plitvice - 1 night

Posted by
3845 posts

Slovenia is awesome. You will enjoy it. Overall, I think your itinerary looks good.

LjubljanaYUM food tour is great. I really enjoyed it. It will give you a bit of an introduction to the sites of the city, too.

Plečnik house is worthwhile in my opinion. No other person has shaped Ljubljana more.

Vintgar Gorge tends to be pretty crowded during the day (or so I'm told). Most people do it is an out and back walk through the gorge. I did it at 8 am; no crowds. I would suggest walking to the end of the gorge, hanging a right at the small sign that points to the Church of St Catherine, ascend to the church, go through the metal gate across from the nearby pizza place, walk the alpine meadow (with great views of the surrounding villages and Bled Castle in the distance), then follow the trail down to the parking lot. The loop hike is on Alltrails.

For the trip to the Logarska dolina, some map sites send you back to Ljubljana and then up to the Logarska dolina. There is a very scenic route that does not require going back to Ljubljana. Get off the highway near Kranj onto Road 210, which takes you through Kokra, Zgornie Jezersko. You will go into Austria for just a bit and then re-enter Slovenia.

I spent most of the day with a private guide on the Solčava Panoramic Road. I'm not sure how long it would take to drive it on your own. There is plenty of hiking in the Logar Valley. I would not lose time driving to and back from Velika Planina. The website for the panoramic road has lots of hiking options: https://www.solcavska-panoramska-cesta.si/en/where-to-go

I haven't made the trip from Ljubljana to Zagreb, so I can't offer advice there.

Posted by
197 posts

This sounds like something I would like to do :) Just in the planning stage and was hoping to tag onto this post :)

We will be arriving from Slovakia and maybe stop one night in Maribor and taste some wine. Then 2 nights in Ljubljana ( kinda like the funbunch@) The we would like to have two 3 night bases to see Lake Bled, Vintgar Gorge, Vrsic Pass and hike around in the area. Don't need to go to the Adriatic this time.Form here we would do a dtarightshot back to Prague. Any tips would also be appreciated. We will be there June 4 to about 15th. Also, would love to stay on a farm. Persiscope your suggestion looks great, but I was a little too late. Thanks all.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you so much Dave! I appreciate all of the wonderful tips offered up on this forum. You guys really are the experts, and planning a detailed trip makes this traveler appreciate even more the investment of your time and shared experiences to others so they can
a have a great trip!

Good word on Vintgar Gorge-We will try for early!
And thanks for the driving tip to Logarska Dolina the scenic route. I hadn't considered a private guide on the Panoramic Road, but I might check into that! It would allow all of us to see the beauty without one of us having to drive..

Again thank you!

Posted by
5 posts

So, I am wondering how my current plan to stay in the Logarska Dolina area,(Days5,6), in regards to scenic hikes, less crowds, available farms to stay, compares to staying in Kobarid or Bovec areas on those days. This was my original plan, but I decided to change to Logar Valley after some farms were already booked and I read favorable posts about Logarska Dolina . Is the "feel" a lot different? I would actually have a day to go on to Piran for a night if I stayed with the Kobarid/ Bovec option . I know they are both beautiful regions, the whole country will be such a treat! Just had to ask before I book the lodging!

If someone has been to both regions and has an opinion, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts!

Posted by
5 posts

I should say that staying in the Kobarid/ Bovec region (Day5) would follow the drive over Vrsic Pass.
Then spend( Day6 )hiking the area, and drive to Piran for the night.
Hope that is more clear.

Posted by
3845 posts

@funbunch44... I have been to both the Bovec/Kobarid region and the Logarska dolina. They do have a bit of a different feel. The former has the Soča River flowing through it, which is beautiful and adds a river component to the Alp theme. The Logarska dolina is also gorgeous. I would give a slight nod to the Logar Valley for mountain beauty. The Soča River, though, is pretty cool, too. There is more history and more crowds in the Soča Valley (though nothing like Bled). The guide for my panoramic road tour was a relative of the owners of the B&B where I stayed. I am happy to provide contact info if you would like it. I finished the day in the guide's family home, sharing mountain tea and a sweet while meeting the guide's family. Cool experience. i know a great guide for easy hikes in the Soča Valley, too... she's a guide and an herbalist!

If you are interested and have not found it, here is my trip report on 25 days in Slovenia: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/25-days-in-slovenia

Posted by
3845 posts

@nicolatwig... For the two bases, I personally would choose Ukanc at the quiet end of Lake Bohinj for one and the Kobarid area for the other. For the latter, I stayed at Tourist Farm Kranjc at Drežnica and liked it quite a bit.

Posted by
197 posts

Thanks Dave :) I will look into that now and if I have more questions I will come up. Thanks for being so informative and willing to help.

Posted by
413 posts

Logarska Dolina area is absolutely incredible. We've been there twice and would go back in a heartbeat. Check out Lenar Tourist Farm - run by the absolute sweetest family. They will call and make dinner reservations for you at local farms. We had incredible organic farm to table 4 course meals including wine for basically $10/person.

We've spent a total of 3 weeks in Logarska Dolina over the course of our 2 trips and didn't run out of enjoyment in the area. Allow for a full day to enjoy the Panoramic Road. Lots of farms to pull off and have snacks, enjoy, hike, sightsee.

Posted by
5 posts

Hello Dave!

I have read your wonderful 25 day itinerary several times. It has been very helpful, and many thanks to you for taking the time to post it for all of us!
At this point, I plan to add a day in our itinerary to allow us being in the Logar Valley area 2 full days, as well as spend 1 night in Kobarid, after driving the Vrsic pass. I may message you about the local guides you mentioned.

And Kristyn, thanks for your input as well.So glad you enjoyed your travel to this region. i will check out Lenar farm for sure!