Please sign in to post.

International driver's license

Hi,
I will be traveling by car for a few days next month in Slovakia, renting from Bratislava. I am finding conflicting information on whether or not I need an International Driver's License, specifically because it doesn't translate into Slovak anyway. Anyone out there know for sure? I appreciate any insight!

Posted by
23240 posts

I would get it. It is cheap. It is better to have it and not need it than the reserve. And to be exact, it is a International Driver's Permit used in conjunction with your state driver's license. Got to have both.

Posted by
220 posts

I would get one. Your local drivers license will not be of much help in a foreign country. It is relatively inexpensive and good insurance.

Posted by
2713 posts

It's very easy and cheap. I just got an IDP for Italy. Go to AAA. The ones in Phoenix didn't require an appointment. I downloaded and completed the form at home. They took the pictures for a small fee. It took all of 20 minutes and I left with my IDP.

Posted by
8 posts

We are going to Slovakia later this month and will be driving too. What I found out is you don't need IDP to rent a car in Slovakia, but if you are stopped by police on road, you need to show IDP plus your state driver license.

Posted by
32700 posts

or have an accident. Or the person renting the car applies the law rather than gets you behind the wheel as soon as they can.

It is the law.