Please sign in to post.

Driving Through Slovakia

Hi! My husband and I are traveling from Kosice to Bratislava this summer for part of our Central/Eastern Europe trip. Our plan is to rent a car in Kosice and drive to Bojnice for one night and then to Bratislava. The goal is to try and hit as many castles as we can on the way through. I have a route planned already but I was wondering if anyone had any driving tips? I have never driven abroad and this will be my husbands first time being abroad at all. That being said, the driving makes me nervous!
I could only find rental cars that are available for pick up/drop off at different locations at the airports. We have no need other than this to be at the airports, so hopefully it won't be too crazy picking up and dropping off the car.
I guess I am just seeking any advice/tips on traveling through the country!

Thanks in advance

Posted by
2644 posts

We used a driver to take us from Krakow to Budapest so we went right through the middle of Slovakia. We went through a lot of small towns and the driver was extremely careful about not exceeding the speed limit - and it was a SLOW speed. I think we spent a lot of time at about 20mph. The driver told us how much speed control emphasis there is in all those small towns.

So my tip is to drive within the speed limit - even though it makes for slow travel.

It was a beautiful drive!!!

Posted by
3931 posts

Also, you need a vignette for the car to drive in Slovakia. You can order it online. They have 10 and 30 day ones 10-14€. I would check if you need an IDL (international drivers licenses available through AAA.
I would ask the rental company about a toll pass too.
Oh, and ask about gas stations. There was a poster recently who didn’t realize the gas pump was just one sitting on the side of the road. Not every gas station is like our large American ones. We were returning a car in Munich once and couldn’t find a gas station. We ended up returning the car and paying the gas fee.

Posted by
21 posts

We have been picking up and dropping off at the airports for a couple of years. We have not had any issues. Just watch the hours of operation. Make sure you go to Spis Castle and Orava Castle and Trencin castle as well as The castle in Bojnice. They are all specitular. As far as getting around, just use Google maps. I have found it no different driving here than other European countries. Be aware if you don't specify an automatic you will get a manual transmission. Enjoy the drive, the scenery is beautiful.

Steve