Please sign in to post.

Which islands??

Between Mull and Skye ... which is worth the travel, or any other islands off the beaten path?
Thank you

Posted by
1877 posts

Skye is definitley NOT off the beaten path and accommodation books up very quickly. Mull is less popular but does have less accommodation. (Daughter has just booked s/c on Mull for August 2023 and many places were already booked up. )

Of the two I prefer Mull and it is definitely worth the travel, especially if you include a trip to Iona, Staffa or Ulva...

Having read you other post and seeing you only have 3-4 nights to play with, that may restrict what you can do. Anywhere 'off the beaten track' is likely to take to long to get to. Arran is a possible, as is Islay. Anywhere else may not repay the time taken to get there.

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, krisnag1119,

Much as I love Skye, it has become a major tourist destination, as is pretty well packed out in summer. Mull is quieter, especially the west coast and Ulva. I don't know how much time you have to devote to the islands, but if you time it right, and the ferries aren't affected by weather/maintenance, you can travel from Oban to Colonsay, then Colonsay to Islay. Colonsay is particularly beautiful, and doesn't get much in the way of tourism. Islay is charming, even if you aren't a whisky aficionado, and is a great place to get back to nature. You can ferry back to the mainland from Port Ellen, which then gives you the option of crossing the Kintyre peninsula and taking either the Lochranza ferry to Arran or the Tarbert ferry to Portavadie.

If you decide on Skye, a trip to Raasay should definitely be on your list. Wonderful scenery, good hiking, and friendly people. Also very few tourists.

Whatever you decide on, the CalMac ferries are a major part of enjoying your time in Scotland.

Best wishes for your travels.

Mike (Auchterless)