Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Edinburgh?

I just saw that this topic was already discussed. People recommended Apartments by Castle, Adagio Apartment Hotel, Hugo's Place Grassmarket and just checking on Air BNB

Our budget is around $200 a night, but we could splurge and go higher for something special. Our entire trip is 23 days long, so I'm looking at some economical stays and some splurges.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

My husband and I will be in Edinburgh from September 4th and leaving September 8th, We need to limit walking as much as possible as my husband has to pace himself. We know there will be lots of walking in Edinburgh. Because of that it is important for us to stay near the main attractions. We are more than willing to use public transportation.

Right now I have made reservations at the Jurys Inn and at the Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge. They both can be cancelled.
Could anyone help me with:
1) input regarding those hotels?
2) recommendations for B and B's OR even renting something through HomeAway, VRBO ect?

We do prefer the Rick Steves' philosophy of staying in smaller places

Thanks in advance.

Nancy

Posted by
2637 posts

Ibis South Bridge is ideal, all the main sights easily walkable but remember Edinburgh is a hilly city and you will have to do a fair bit of up and down.there are bus stops almost outside the door if heading to other parts of the city. numerous places to eat within a stone throws distance.
Ibis is a fairly new building on the site of a very old building that burnt down over 15 years ago .
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/on-this-day-2002-cowgate-fire-rips-through-edinburgh-s-old-town-1-4634274

Posted by
3211 posts

You don’t say what your budget is. We are staying at the Castleview B & B, it looks very nice and is centrally located.

Posted by
27 posts

Thanks for noticing that I forgot that detail. I'd like to keep it at or under $200 a night, if possible. BUT we could splurge on something special. We like unique and don't have to have all the luxury bells and whistles.

Posted by
545 posts

We stayed at "The Place" hotel on York Place during a Rick Steves tour last fall. It's on the eastern end of the city and about half a block from the tram stop. I thought it was quite nice and the hotel staff were very helpful. https://yorkplace-edinburgh.co.uk/

Posted by
8340 posts

I would not consider York Place for someone who has to limit walking. It is just a 5-10 minute walk from the sights you are interested in, but it sounds as if that is 5-10 minutes that you would like to save your husband from having to walk.

For those interested in York Place area, I highly recommend the Premeir Inn York Place. Great price, right at the last stop of the tram from the airport, and the views from the upper floors over the harbor are fabulous.

Posted by
1018 posts

Just got back from our RS Scotland tour , our hotel was very nice ....parliament house on Calton road

Posted by
4796 posts

Google B+B Rothesay Place Edinburgh. It's really a hotel despite the name. We stayed there last year and it was very good. You can take a tram from the airport to a stop within walking distance of the facility. That same tram will go almost to the main train station and many of the places you'll want to see. If you decide to stay there ask for a room on the back overlooking Dean village. We can give specific directions if you decide to stay there, and also other info about Edinburgh.