Please sign in to post.

Where to stay

We are a family of four (so need two double beds minimum) We want to spend some time in Edinburgh and hopefully the tattoo festival. Also travel to St. Andrews and most likely Glascow. Plan to rent a car. I am wondering should we stay somewhere outside and commute in via train or just bite the bullet and stay in Edinburgh. Open to ideas on where outside best to stay. TIA.

Posted by
5678 posts

I would recommend staying in Edinburgh. What travel do you have planned for the car? You can go by train to both St. Andrews and Glasgow by train. With St. Andrew's you go to Leuchars and then catch a cab or bus the last 7 miles.

How long will you be there? You could look into an apartment. Also, when searching for accommodation ask about family rooms. Use visit VisitScotland as a first run at places. Click on the accommodations tab. You put in some dates and choose two adults and 2 children and see what comes up. Choose self-catering for apartments.

Pam

Posted by
3122 posts

I agree, for the Edinburgh portion of your trip, stay in Edinburgh itself. And you won't need or want a car.

Renting a car from Edinburgh airport should be pretty straightforward. We returned our car there (rented it in Glasgow) and had no trouble following the highway signs and roundabouts. Leaving the airport, though, I do recommend asking the rental agent about the signposts for your desired route because some of the signs are based on the assumption that all drivers know that, say, Queensferry is on the way to Perth and Linlithgow is on the way to Stirling.

Posted by
824 posts

The previous two posts have transportation covered so I'll concentrate on lodging. If you need space for 4 with at least 2 double beds, I would look for apartments. HolidayLettings, TripAdvisor, HomeAway, etc. are all good places to start. But, since you mention the Tattoo, you're already behind the curve when it comes to ANY kind of lodging in Edinburgh that time of year. The Edinburgh International Festival is THE biggest festival in Edinburgh and lodging begins tightening up 6-10 months in advance.

Another note concerning a car. Edinburgh has a reputation for having the second worst traffic in the UK and there's very little public parking in the city. If you need to go to the burbs, or another city, because you can't find appropriate lodging in Edinburgh, make sure it's close to a train or bus line and plan on commuting into the city for sightseeing.