Please sign in to post.

Trip Report (Pt 2): Oban & Isle of Mull March/April 2024

continued...

Route & misc notes

• Glasgow-Oban: Based on suggestions we drove A82-A83-A819-A85 & it was perfect since A83 & A819 were welcome breaks from high speed + high traffic areas
  • Luss: do stop at this charming village on Loch Lomond on your way from Glasgow-Oban. Lovely little shops, places to eat & gorgeous views. We spent about 1-1.5 hours here.
  • Rest & Be Thankful View point on A83: This seemed closed as there was construction around it.
  • Oban-Glencoe Day trip: Took A828 then A82 all the way to Kingshouse & back. We also took a detour to drive along the Loch Etive road for about 1/2 hr & the views were worth it! Ideally spend the entire day leisurely (yet cautiously) driving & stopping around the Glencoe area & pack a picnic.
  • Tobermory to Fionnphort: We drove the coastal road from Tobermory-Salen-Gruline-Pennyghael-Bunessan- Fionnphort (A848-B8035-A849) & it was extremely long, winding, slow & tiring but absolutely worth the effort. If you can you must take this route. It’s rugged, beautiful, lots of cattle & sheep to see & say hello to along the way! On our way back we drove to Tobermory via Craignure.
  • Personal opinion: We didn’t enjoy staying at Tobermory as much as we had hoped, maybe because it was the Easter weekend. We would have still preferred to stay around there but maybe a little off the town.
  • Must go: Isle of Mull Cheese and Spirit- absolutely delicious baked goods + cheese with a gorgeous cafe & some sheep & goat around!

Hope this is helpful!

Posted by
6342 posts

You're right about the drive to Fionnphort—it is really lovely and worth the effort. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Tobermory but I can definitely see where crowds would affect the atmosphere. I loved it but it wasn't that crowded when I was there.

And I'm so glad I'm not the only person who talks to sheep. :-)

Great notes! Thanks for reporting back!