Please sign in to post.

Trip Report (Pt 1): Oban & Isle of Mull March/April 2024

Hi all. We recently returned from a wonderful trip to Oban & Isle of Mull & since this group was very helpful in planning, I thought it best to come back with trip report + some driving tips we wish we had thought through. It is also safe to say we saw & met more sheep than we did people on this trip & loved it! Thank you all for your helpful inputs. Happy to give more specific info/ recs if anyone has any questions!

Warning: Long Post!

Itinerary
Day 1: London-Glasgow via train; Glasgow-Oban (by rental car); Drove via A82-A83-A819-A85; Stopped at Luss (Loch Lomond); Arrived in Oban late PM; 3 nights in Oban
Day 2: Oban to Glencoe; drove all around the region & Loch Etive (A828 then A82)
Day 3: Oban & surrounding areas: Ganavan sands, Oban town, Pulpit Hill etc
Day 4: Oban to Isle of Mull (Tobermory) via 11 am Craignure CalMac Ferry; On reaching Craignure, stopped at Duart Castle & then headed into Tobermory then further on to Calgary beach & back to Tobermory by 6pm; 2 nights in Tobermory
Day 5: Tobermory to Fionnphort; then ferry to Iona; Return to Tobermory late evening
Day 6: Tobermory to Craignure to Oban to Inverary; overnight in Inverary
Day 7: Inverary to Glasgow (rental car drop off); Glasgow-London by train

Driving & related notes

• Picked up rental car from Arnold Clark on South Street (to avoid driving through Glasgow city centre); extremely nice people here
  • Driving times: Note that google maps & the Sat Nav on rental cars give an estimate based on driving the speed limits (which were 60 mph in most areas with some even at 70mph). However, due to reasons mentioned below, we, as North American drivers (new to London), could not drive at those speeds. Add 1.5 hours easily to your driving time if you are like us plus some time for stops.
  • We didn’t find too many pull out points for scenic look outs. Only passing lanes on most roads. I wish there were more look out scenic stops along the roads to admire the beauty of the place because it is absolutely stunning!
  • Driving: As a N.American driver (with ample prior experience driving on opposite/ left side) it was extremely challenging to drive for the following reasons:
    • extremely narrow lanes
    • small/ lower cars preferred but takes time getting used to
    • Driving on opposite side than we are used to
    • single lane roads on most A roads i.e. one lane on each direction only
    • Single-track roads in most of Isle of Mull & some parts of mainland around Oban as well with plenty passing lanes
    • no shoulders on the side of most roads
    • speed limits high for such kind of roads (60/70 mph)- we could only drive a max of 30mph on single-track roads & sometimes 40/50 mph on regular roads due to winding roads
    • Extremely winding roads
    • The drives overall were more tiring & stressful for the small distances we covered
    • Tip: Try & always have an active co-passenger as a navigator + look out person; we felt this especially for the drive on single track roads esp from Tobermory to Calgary Beach.
    • Tip: do let trucks, locals etc pass by giving an indicator/ signal earlier than you think is required since they are driving fast & close. There were sufficient “Passing Places” on most roads & I have to say they were much kinder to us as tourists than drivers are in the US.

This is not a list of negatives, but just our personal experience & opinion based on driving here especially as North American drivers who are used to bigger cars + bigger roads so hoping to set expectations of fellow travellers. Locals were of course able to drive at higher speeds. UK drivers are excellent & were very understanding of us as rental car drivers (thanks Arnold Clark stickers on back of rentals!).

Posted by
6342 posts

speed limits high for such kind of roads (60/70 mph)- we could only drive a max of 30mph on single-track roads & sometimes 40/50 mph on regular roads due to winding roads

Ha ha, yes, that's so ironic! I ran into that last year in Scotland and this year in England. BUT keep in mind (my friend who I stayed with for a few days told me this) that while the speed limits even on single track roads are 60+ mph, you are still liable if you are going too fast for the road conditions, no matter what the speed limit is.

And yes, please let other cars and trucks pass. There is nothing more frustrating than being behind a slow moving vehicle when you can't pass. I'm adept enough now after a month in England so that I'm often stuck behind someone going very slowly and it drives me crazy.

Posted by
4113 posts

All good pointers! I think this one is the hardest for U.S. drivers to wrap their brains around.

The drives overall were more tiring & stressful for the small distances we covered

Posted by
1015 posts

Mardee is right. The speed limit on rural roads is 60mph but it’s usually impossible to go at that speed. Only drive at a speed that feels safe.

Posted by
1646 posts

The fastest roads, the dual carriageways and motorways, where the traffic is divided and that have a 70 mph limit, 70 is easily doable. Our rural motorways are designed with a speed of 120 km/h in mind which is higher than the speed limit (112) The rural roads that are not, nah. It is why I do point it out, some drivers, and some rural roads can accommodate them, will do the 60 limit, but the limit is 60 because having a default limit is easier than micromanaging the limits. It is also why no number appears on the National Speed Limit signs in those situations. The max is 60 mph, you may find reaching 60 km/h is too fast.

If the direction signs on a rural single carriageway (two lanes divided by paint) are green then 60 is often possible. But not always. If they are white on the same type of road, it usually is not. Though sometimes is. So my advise is drive to a speed you are comfortable with below the limit and let the faster drivers past if you can.

Posted by
4112 posts

Tip: Try & always have an active co-passenger as a navigator + look
out person; we felt this especially for the drive on single track
roads esp from Tobermory to Calgary Beach.

Except sometimes that navigator kept covering her eyes with her hands along those narrow curvy roads to Calgary Beach....at least that's how it worked in our car. Well worth the drive though, Calgary Beach is spectacular.