Please sign in to post.

Traveling to Scotland w/kids

Help! First trip to Scotland and trying to work out itinerary. Planning on flying in from London to Edinburg late June. Spend 2 Days in Edinburg and then venturing to Glencoe and Scottish Highlands. Kids love history, castles, ,stone circles, scenery, and hiking. Thinking about visiting Inverness as well. Possibly Skye...

We have 3 full days and then flying to Ireland. Preferably Belfast if I can find direct to hit Giants Causeway.

Any advice would be appreciated. We love to do things on our own so definitely looking into car rental.

Also after 2 days in Edinburg hotel, would you base somewhere around Inverness and day trip?

Posted by
1446 posts

Check Visit Scotland and Historic Scotland online sites for ideas and passes that may save you money on admissions,

Posted by
3122 posts

If you only have 3 days after your 2-day Edinburgh stay, that doesn't leave you much time to see the Highlands. Consider 1 night in Nairn or Inverness (Cawdor Castle, Clava Cairns, Culloden Battlefield), then your remaining 2 nights in Skye and/or Fort William and/or Glencoe.

If you drive from the western highlands to Glasgow it will be shorter than driving back to Edinburgh, and you may be able to fly to Belfast from Glasgow (but I haven't checked flights myself).