Please sign in to post.

Transportation

Traveling in Scotland seems to require a car most of the time. We would take a train where possible. Otherwise we would like know if hiring a drive would be a possibility. Not sure how to go about it? Cost? Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Linda

Posted by
32747 posts

Scotland is a large country with long stretches of water. Can you be a little more specific please.

Posted by
971 posts

Start by figuring out where you are going and what you would like to see. Then go from there.

Posted by
2639 posts

the central area od Scotland is well covered by an excellent transport system so if visiting the major cities and larger towns you will have no problem getting around by public transport and certainly in Edinburgh and Glasgow a car is more of a hinderance.If wanting to go into the highland and islands than yes renting a car would be a good idea.decent car hire is around £30-40 per day plus petrol costs.

Posted by
2507 posts

Hiring a drive

Do you mean you want to hire your own driver to take you around?

Rabbies do small group tours and they’ll also put together bespoke private tours if that’s what you’re after.
https://www.rabbies.com/en

Posted by
87 posts

Thanks to all for the feedback. When I have more details and an itinerary I may be asking more specific questions.

Posted by
87 posts

Thanks to all for the feedback. When I have more details and an itinerary I may be asking more specific questions.

Posted by
1643 posts

Outwith the central belt, a car makes sense. In perspective, Scotland is just over one third of the island of Great Britain, and just under a tenth of its population. You can possibly guess Scottish public transport based on that.