Please sign in to post.

Train travel in Scotland

Need some guidance will be in Scotland 9/10/2023 to 9/20/2023. We were planning on renting a car,but I am not considering train travel. Or maybe a bit of both. We fly in and out of Glasgow. My husband and our friend will want to play some golf, but will rent clubs. We are not set on itinerary. Consideration at this point is Ft William, Iverness, Aberdeen, St. Andrews, Edinburgh. The only one that is a definite is Edinburgh and we all want to visit St. Andrews Old Course. The guys to not have to play. Would love to hear your thoughts on train vs Car. Both advantages and disadvantages. Trying to get our plans in place so that we can get lodging booked. We all enjoy the history, scenery, castles, short hikes, of course some golfing. We do not need to visit museums. love great pubs with character and good local food. suggestions and thoughts please and thank you!

Posted by
1448 posts

I can recommend driving because you can come and go when you want. We took driving trips 2 times through Scotland with really no problems. One advantage is that you have your own stuff with you; including a cooler or basket with snacks and drinks. Another plus is that you can find lodging off the beaten path. We loved staying in Farmhouse b&bs. Things might not be so busy in September. When you are in Glasgow you might actually enjoy the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. It is an interactive experience in a very beautiful historic building. You find a lot of information you can use on your trip. Look at www.visitscotland.com a gateway site for everything you need to know about. They are working on their Website right now so I would check later. Bon Voyage

Posted by
6308 posts

They are working on their Website right now so I would check later.

The website is still functional - they're working on a Beta site right now that you can try out, but the old website still has everything there.

Posted by
139 posts

All of these places are accessible by rail. The only issue is that if you intend to do it in a loop there is no rail link between Fort William and Inverness (there were various attempts to do it in the Victorian and Edwardian period but they kept running out of money), but there is a fairly frequent bus service.

Posted by
3122 posts

You might want to edit your post from "not considering train travel" to "now considering train travel" as it seems the latter is what you meant. ("not" / "now" is an easy typo, my fingers tell me...)

Posted by
236 posts

thanks for the input and yes, my original post was incorrect. Should have said we were considering train travel. Now, however we have decided it will be best if we rent a car. Seem we will see more and it will be at our will. Thanks for your help

Posted by
3122 posts

Wise choice to plan on renting a car. In my opinion, Scotland's back roads and small villages are the most wonderful aspects of visiting there, and the easiest way to experience those is with your own wheels.

Posted by
1743 posts

I have a similar trip planned for this May (except I don't golf). Doing the entire thing by rail (or bus or taxi when rail is not available). There may be some challenges, but I don't want to rent a car as a single traveler because I don't want to deal with navigation and driving at the same time. I like to be able to relax and look out the window. I may not be able to get as far off the beaten path this way, but I'm working on booking some day trips that will get me to spots not accessible by train.

Since it sounds like there are three of you, this makes it both more cost effective and less stressful to drive, I think. I assume you can rotate the driving (though you may have to pay a bit more for multiple drivers).

I'm also taking about three times as long as you are. This makes the pace of train travel a bit less hurried.