Please sign in to post.

Train tickets in advance ?

We will be visiting Scotland (and Ireland, but I'll post that question on that page) in early July. We will be taking the train for a day trip to Stirling and then traveling to Glasgow by train. Should we get tickets in advance, or can we just walk up and buy them the day of travel ? Thanks in advance.

Posted by
32700 posts

can i assume that these will be from Edinburgh? You don't say.

They are such short trips that just getting what you want when you want it won't be expensive. Advance tickets not available to Stirling.

Anytime day return £17.50 pp, Off Peak day return after 0900 (first 0923) return any time same day £10.60pp. Super Off Peak return after 1100 (first 1119) return any train same day £8.40 pp. Single (one way), any time of day, £10.30.

Glasgow from Edinburgh is a bit more expensive. Possibly Avanti West Coast may have Advance tickets (I didn't look) but fares on this line are set by Scotrail, owned by the Scottish government.

Anytime return (return within one month) £31.10 pp, Anytime Day return (any time the same day) £27.60 pp, Off Peak period Return after 0900 (first 0917 takes 50 mins) return within a month £19.10 pp, Off Peak Day Return (same times as Off Peak period Return) £14.20 pp, Anytime Single (one way) £16.10, Cheap Single (after 0900) £14.00.

No Super Off Peaks on that route.

Be aware travelling to Glasgow, that your ticket is valid on the train you want, and be aware that while the fastest are under an hour the slowest are half again as long.

These are Standard Class tickets. First, if available on the train you want costs substantially more.

Posted by
23 posts

Sorry, yes , from Edinburg. The trip to Glasgow would just be one way. I was mostly concerned about being shut out if I waited to the last moment and bought the tickets at the station when we were ready to go. But it sounds like that is not a problem. Thanks for your help.