Please sign in to post.

Train tickets

We plan to take the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow and to Falkirk, can we buy the tickets that day/morning at the train/ticket station for these places?
We also plan to take the train from Kyle of Lochalsh to Liverpool. Would anyone recommend a break or place to stay along the way as I understand it is a long train ride. Also is it recommended to purchase tickets ahead of time or can one do this at the train station that morning?

Posted by
1209 posts

As it sounds you are not traveling alone check out a TwoTwogether pass it's highly likely you to save money.
The Edinburgh/Glasgow/ Falkirk train tickets could be bought immediately before travel
The Kyle to Liverpool prebuying is likely be be hugely cheaper
National Rail is the best place to get times.
Do put the Kyle trip through a Split ticketing APP.
On occasion I have found fares half what the national Rail site listed and being on exactly the same train.

When you say break in the trip ,is that an hours leg stretch or an overnight somewhere?

Posted by
15 posts

Yes thinking of overnight somewhere from Kyle of Lochalsh to Liverpool.

Posted by
14992 posts

The best routing I could find was 10+ hours and three changes. That includes a 7 minute transfer in Inverness. The station is small but if you arriving train is late.......

Splittng the trip into two days takes much of the pressure off.

Your transfer points are Inverness, Glasgow and Preston. To split the journey, I'd suggest overnighting in Glasgow. This way, if you miss your train from Inverness to Glasgow there is a later one.

Note....you arrive at Glasgow Queen Street station but depart from Glasgow Central station.

Posted by
27107 posts

I spent nearly a week in Glasgow in 2019. I really liked the city--loved the Charles Rennie Mackintosh buildings. If you're a museum person, I imagine the Burrell Collection is not to be missed. I say "I imagine" because it was closed for renovation at the time of my visit. It has now reopened.

Posted by
1322 posts

Falkirk is a nice little town, but when you are there I recommend you also visit the Faikirk Wheel, which is quite amazing. We were there last week and it really is a treat to ride the tour of the wheel.

We took bus 6 from Falkirk bus station.

Posted by
15 posts

Should one purchase tickets to ride Falkirk wheel ahead of time or can one purchase it the same day?

Posted by
1209 posts

There's a Spirit of Scotland rail pass , actually two variants,that might be of use to you check Scotrails or the National Rail site
I believe they include city link so you could travel from Kyle to Fort William and pick up the stunning line down to Glasgow or assuming the times work out Inverness down to Fort William .
Looks like a Twotogether also gives you 1/3 off the Spirit Pass.
I will put a call in to my local station and confirm it's still on sale as 1 website says it's covid restricted which I find very hard to believe is still valid info