Please sign in to post.

Train from Edinburgh to London

I am planning to take the train from Edinburgh to London after my tour of Scotland has finished. Should I purchase tickets for this in advance or can I wait for the day that I plan to travel? Also, is their one train company/line that is preferred and is there a better side of the train to sit? Thank you!

Posted by
23178 posts

The British rail system is one of the most expensive because of privatization. The price of the ticket goes up in stages as you approach your travel date. Book it as early as you can for the least expensive ticket. Go to the National rail site (nationalrail.co.uk). I think it is the Southern Railroad that runs that line. We sat on the left side (sea side) of the train but don't think there is much differences. We paid 49 pounds for our ticket a couple of years ago.

Posted by
6113 posts

Purchase your tickets 11 weeks out for the best prices and generally, travel after 9.30 am for the best value.

Tickets should be bought from Lner.co.uk, which is the operator. There has never been a train company called Southern Railroad in the UK. This line was previously operated by Virgin Trains.

There isn’t a better side to sit on, but you may have a personal preference for facing backwards or forwards.

Posted by
1059 posts

Everything Jennifer says is correct. If you want the cheapest possible ticket get an Advance ticket. This restricts you to one particular train. If you want peace and quiet you can reserve a seat in the Quiet Carriage. Other choices include airline style (2 seats side by side) or table seating (4 seats, 2 facing direction of travel and 2 backwards with a table between them). You can also choose to have a seat facing the direction of travel. But I am not aware of being able to choose left or right side of the train, although the Northumberland stretch of the journey is fairly coastal so there are nice views from the left side of the train (facing direction of travel). It will be pot luck if you get that side!

Posted by
2483 posts

Advance tickets from £26 – The off-peak walk-up fare is from £71.

Book here https://www.lner.co.uk/

Choose a seat on the left side of the carriage heading south if you want to see the sea between Dunbar and Alnmouth.

Posted by
137 posts

We did this last year and thought that we were in London much too soon! We love taking the train around Scotland and the rest of the UK. We weren't right on the coast as much as I thought we'd be, but the trip was great! Been wanting to get back to Scotland ever since.

We're heading back next May and (as of now) plan on doing either the Grand Tour or the Spirit of Scotland train tour.

Posted by
137 posts

We did this last year and thought that we were in London much too soon! We love taking the train around Scotland and the rest of the UK. We weren't right on the coast as much as I thought we'd be, but the trip was great! Been wanting to get back to Scotland ever since.

We're heading back next May and (as of now) plan on doing either the Grand Tour or the Spirit of Scotland train tour.