Please sign in to post.

Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow

I will be taking taxi from Edinburgh airport to train station mid afternoon on Saturday 9/28 to take a train to Glasgow where I will be spending the night.
It looks like there are many trains going to Glasgow and not sure of exactly what time I will arrive at the train station, do I need to make a reservation?..probably much later in the day or can I just book the next one when I do get to the train station?

Posted by
7565 posts

No, you shouldn't need to make a reservation. I was there in May last year and took the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow and did not buy the ticket until I got to the station. No need to reserve. :-)

I think there is a bus going from EDI to Glasgow, which might make things easier for you, if you don't mind riding a bus. I'm not totally sure about that but someone should pop in and let you know if there is one.

Posted by
2676 posts

no need to make reservations they are basically commuter trains. These trains can run up to 4 times an hour and take around 45 minutes, make sure you get the ones going to Glasgow Queen street, as the one that go to Glasgow central can take double that time.
There are direct buses that run from the Airport to Glasgow that actually might be better for you,will work out a lot quicker.
https://www.citylink.co.uk/media/ttah3b1x/citlink-air-tt-leaflet-oct22.pdf

Posted by
3 posts

My final destination in Glasgow is a hotel near Glasgow central station.
What bus would you advise that I take from Edinburgh airport?

Posted by
7324 posts

The #AIR bus to Buchanan Bus Station, the #902 goes 'round the houses' and takes twice as long.

The AIR should always be a double decker. The 902 is usually a single decker.

The #398 bus across the road from Buchanan Bus Station goes to Central Station every 12 minutes. It is free to train passengers but £1.50 to anyone else. Otherwise about a 10 minute walk to Central Station.