Please sign in to post.

Train

Jun 01, 2017, 2:11 PM
Hi , my cousin and I will be in Edinburgh next week. We have 1 day left that we have not planned for. She has never been on a train and really wants to ride on one. Could y'all suggest a short train trip we could take and just get a round trip ticket. I think our guest house is close to Waverly train station.

Thanks

teani

Posted by
2636 posts

lots of places by train, Linlithgow is a lovely place ( Mary queen of Scots was born there) and only about 20 minutes by train,North Berwick a lovely seaside town is about 50 minutes away.You could take a train and cross the Forth Bridge an amazing piece of Victorian engineering , you will also be able to see the Forth road Bridge and the new Queensferry crossing that is nearing completion ,so a train to North Queensferry or anywhere in Fife is a good idea, Dunfermline is nice but it is a bit of an uphill walk to the main town from the train station.
Then you have the recently opened borders railway, last stop is Tweedbank and from there you can visit Abbotsford house the home of Sir Walter Scott, about a 15 minute walk from the station, the town of Galashiels is the stop before Tweedbank and is a very nice little town.
Stirling is an hour away Glasgow about 45 minutes and Dundee a bit more than an hour, so as you can see loads of options.

Posted by
2636 posts

The Borders railway takes just under an hour to get to Tweedbank and run every 30 minutes the trains actually pass about 150 yards from my house.