Please sign in to post.

Tour of Scotland in April 2024

We are taking one of the RS Scotland tours in April & will be flying from DC (Dulles Airport in Washington).
The tour starts in Glasgow & ends in Edinburgh. We read the train between the two cities is about an hour.
Question: We are arriving THREE nights before our tour begins. Which city do you prefer spending more time in? In the tour reviews, many of the comments say the tour should be adjusted to include more time in Edinburgh. What are your thoughts if you have been to both cities?

Posted by
4121 posts

Wow, that's a speed tour through both cities. Flip a coin. I know I'd be incredibly disappointed with only spending a morning at Stirling Castle, we spent 6 hours there on a daytrip from Glasgow. I'm voting Glasgow to a avoid added time wasted packing and moving between Glasgow and Edinburgh, plus to give yourself more time in Stirling.

Posted by
15094 posts

I've been to both cities numerous times. I think there is more to see in Edinburgh so I would spend a little extra time there and go to Glasgow the day before your tour starts to see anything not included in the tour.

Posted by
27180 posts

I spent roughly an equal amount of time in both cities and that was right for me. Edinburgh has more old historical sights. Glasgow has better architecture of more recent vintage (Charles Rennie Mackintosh). Both have more good art museums than you'll have time to see. Edinburgh has the very good National Museum of Scotland, but the city is very, very much more touristy.

Posted by
2427 posts

We much preferred Edinburgh to Glasgow and spent a few extra days there pretour. We then took the train to Glasgow to meet up with the RS tour. The tour does not spend much time in Edinburgh and there is a lot to see there. We stayed at the Motel One Princes Street and really enjoyed our stay there. The hotel is across the street from Waverley Station. Get a room with a view if you can. We skipped the hotel breakfast and picked up breakfast at Pret a Manger at the station.