Please sign in to post.

Tour Guides

Forgive a "newbie" to the website. I've been reading RS books and watching DVD's for years, but only recently looking on line. We are going to Scotland and England in April/May 23. About two weeks. I wondered if RS recommended tourguides were listed on the website here? I see some in the books, but not many. Is there a place here for them? Looking for some tour guides for private tours from Edinburgh to Highlands and also out on the Hebrides. And in England someone to take us to Canterbury from London and also maybe Dover. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
8663 posts

Can’t speak to Scotland or Dover but will advise to look at www.walks.com to see if they have a Canterbury walk.

I take a London walk each trip. Small group, inexpensive ( for London ) and great guides.

Posted by
13934 posts

It depends on what kind of time frame you are talking about for the Hebrides. Former RS guide, Mark Seymour has both a HIghlands tour and an Orkneys and Shetlands tour. That may be more time than you can commit and I did not look to see if he had any spaces left. I have not traveled with him but am doing his Northern England tour in May. At least one forum member did the Orkneys/Shetland tour this summer but I know she is on a Christmas Market tour right now, lol.

https://www.seymourtravels.co.uk/general-2

Canterbury is easily doable on your own. I was there with a RS tour group so we had a tour of the cathedral with the group but I expect there are tours provided by Cathedral docents/volunteers.

Posted by
2375 posts

If you are wanting to travel from bases like London and Edinburgh, rather than traveling to locations by car or public transportation, you might want to have a look at Rabbies tours. They do well-regarded tours for one day and multi-day trips.
https://www.rabbies.com/en

Posted by
7356 posts

Rick Steves generally gives only a very few guide recommendations in his books for any destination. He lists people whom he’s extremely confident will provide an outstanding guide service, and a reasonable value. If his recommended guide is already booked for days you want, the guide may be able to refer you to another suitable guide (we’ve had that happen in Italy), or do you want a large selection of potential guides, from which to choose? We hired Rick’s suggested guide a few years ago in Glasgow, but haven’t yet used one for Highlands or outlying islands.

Earlier in the Pandemic, Rick listed lots of guides on his Website. They were looking for clients, and Americans couldn’t get to Europe, so he was trying to help them out. Now, he needs those guides to lead his tours, so it appears there’s no longer a list of his recommended guides here. However, if you use the search function on this Website with some keywords, you’ll likely find lots of other folks’ guide recommendations in previous Forum postings. Rabbie’s gets mentioned a lot by people here.

If you’re still in need for a reliable recommendation, have you chosen/booked any lodging? Would that place have any suggestions for a guide?

Posted by
32745 posts

neo link sent to webmaster for review - caution clicking until approved

Posted by
2 posts

I would recommend a visit to Glencoe and Buachaille Etive Mor in the Highlands . They are quite stunning and well worth a visit.

Posted by
27108 posts

The tourist office in Canterbury offered at least one walking tour back in 2018.

Posted by
1019 posts

Yup Pam… just returned last week from Christmas market cruise. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Yes ….. I truly recommend mark Seymour travels. We did the shetland and Orkney and was fantastic! We are signed up for his south England tour in May. I love the small groups. I don’t know when I will go back to RS tours. Plus , we are adding on outer Hebrides tour with James Macletchie with Igot2travel.

Kim

Posted by
32745 posts

photography company ad against our Community Guidelines