Please sign in to post.

Tipping Question

My husband and I are scheduled to depart on a much anticipated (twice-now rescheduled) trip to Scotland on May 15. 😀 The time is finally almost nigh, and I am delighted to feel the adrenaline rush that comes with the necessity of checking over travel details in preparation for an imminent trip. 😀 This will be my first visit to Scotland. My husband was in country briefly in the '90s. Thus, I may be posting quite a few questions over the next few days.

Some time ago, I jotted all this down in my notes about Scotland and tipping:

• It is not expected in pubs unless there is table service. In which case, the tip should be one £ for each round of drinks.
  • In restaurants, one should tip 10 percent for "expected" or "good" service and up to 15 percent if a restaurant is more upscale.
  • One should always check to see if a gratuity has been added.

Today in clicking through a chain of online travel links, I came across the following on the Travel + Leisure website: In Europe, "Bring cash — some restaurants won’t allow a gratuity to be added to a credit card purchase." From your experience or knowledge, is this true in Scotland?

I know this is not a tremendously important question, but its answer might allow us to make a better decision on how much cash to have on our persons each day. (I rarely use cash anymore and generally don't carry more than a few dollars unless it is required for something.)

Posted by
5262 posts

If there is no option on the card reader to add a tip you can simply ask the server to add one to the total before you make payment however this will not automatically be listed as a tip and will likely simply end up in the proprieter's pocket.

It's becoming more and more popular, particularly amongst chains, to add a 'discretionary service charge' to the bill. I don't like this trend, the cost of the service is incorporated into the cost of the meal so I usually request that it is removed unless I've received particularly good service that deserves recognition.

It is not expected in pubs unless there is table service. In which case, the tip should be one £ for each round of drinks.

I've never heard of this. I don't tip in pubs but my wife likes to sometimes and usually she'll leave a fiver irrespective of the cost of the meal or number of drinks.

Posted by
2740 posts

Restaurant (not a pub) that we ate at in Edinburgh last night had 10% added on bill for service. Fair to us.

Posted by
6113 posts

I have never tipped for drinks. I would be a lot poorer if I had!

The bill at more upscale restaurants will be more costly, so 10% is enough. Many places will automatically add a service charge - sometimes 10%, but more often 12.5% or 15%.

Posted by
741 posts

Tipping is a perennial topic on many travel boards. Even when people find out that tipping is not expected, they still do it if they are American. This, in complete disregard to the local custom. I would go with the local custom and not any perceived guilt or generosity concerns.
Many places in Europe have a service charge on the bill. Or, in Italy, they have the mandatory bread charge.
Otherwise you can round up to the next Euro. Simply leave the change. Paying with a CC? Nothing else. Keep it simple for yourself.
Conversely in Latin America and Asia you may have people say direct to you, “What, no tip?”
Don’t be an over generous American lording it over everyone with your wealth. You could be perceived that way, or you could be perceived as a sucker. Pay for your meal like the locals. No need there to subsidize the wait staff due to poor wages like here in the US.

Posted by
1117 posts

Just back from a couple of weeks away on the Outer Hebrides. Several places were unable to add a tip to the credit card bill, while others managed it. Perhaps best to bring some cash just in case.

Posted by
7549 posts

It is not expected in pubs unless there is table service. In which case, the tip should be one £ for each round of drinks

If a pub has table service, it is usually a separate section, and for ordering food with service. Otherwise, if you go into a pub and there are tables in the bar area, you are free to grab one...but you go to the bar to order drinks and food. Look for a table number, you'll need that for the food...they bring it to you, but that is not really table service. Drinks you carry yourself.

Posted by
32750 posts

Just back from a couple of weeks away on the Outer Hebrides

answers what a girl from remote Skye does to get away from it all....

I wonder where Hebrideans go to get away from it all....

Posted by
2639 posts

"Bring cash — some restaurants won’t allow a gratuity to be added to a credit card purchase." From your experience or knowledge, is this true in Scotland? true in Scotland. I never tip for drinks and please never leave money on the bar or the table,folk will think you have forgotten your change.. 10 % tipping for decent service but no more and upscale restaurants should get no more that normal places, why should they.really don't sweat the tipping,if you tip folk will be gratefull and if you don't they won't chase ypu down the street looking for one.

Posted by
1117 posts

@Nigel! Ha! Exactly. Barra was my perfect spot - even more remote than Skye and with amazing beaches, and a hill (Heaval) that even I could get up. Plenty of Barr-istas (as my husband insists on calling them) come to Skye for their holidays. Have to say North Uist and Berneray are also favourites, but shhhhh don't tell everyone.