Please sign in to post.

Stupid Question

Going to Scotland next year and need to renew US Passport before going. I have completed the application and had a new picture taken. Although this may sound silly, does anyone know how to properly attach the picture to the appropriate spot on the application? After an exhaustive search of the Department of State website and finding no answer (and you can't call them), I searched online and found, 1) Foder's said to use four staples vertically in each corner as far from your face as possible". They went on to say that "the one attached to the application stays with it while the second one is used for the passport". The instructions say send ONE picture. 2) Another site says to glue it, and, 3) the last one says to use a paperclip, but not too tight or it will fall off.

Would appreciate your experience with this issue. Thank you.

Jim

Posted by
2448 posts

I did the four staples, and it must have been legit, as I now have my new passport.

Posted by
755 posts

I did what the application showed to do and stapled it. It usually helps to do as instructed with U S forms. We do have our passports now.

Posted by
13944 posts

I don't have a comment about the staples but with another possibility of a government shutdown, I'd pay for the expedited renewal to see if you can get them before anything happens. True, you do have some time before you travel but there may be a backlog if the government shuts for a few days/weeks.

Posted by
1605 posts

We sent in our passport renewal application several weeks ago. We stapled our photos per their instructions. We did not include the second photo. We did receive an email confirming they received our applications, and they didn't say anything about requiring the second photo.