Please sign in to post.

St. Andrews Old Course July 12, 2022

According to the itinerary, we're supposed to visit St. Andrews July 12. That's a practice round day for this year's Open tournament. This year is the 150th Open. Does anybody know if we'll still be able to visit?

Posted by
8375 posts

I notice that the Himalayas putting course is closed during the open. You could still enjoy exploring the town, walking on the beach, visiting the golf museum, even if access to the courses is limited.

Posted by
2186 posts

I am assuming you are on a RS tour for this? If so, I would check with the RS tour office. They could give you a more official answer as this isn’t an annual occurrence.

Posted by
14994 posts

I am currently at a hotel about 14 miles from St. Andrews. The manager told me they are sold out for the entire Open. The demand was so high they're getting upwards of 500 GBP per night.

St. Andrews will be packed with people

Posted by
103 posts

Are you asking if you'll be able to visit the Open golf, or the town of St Andrews generally?

The Open only takes up the golf courses, the rest of the town operates as usual, so overall the answer is yes. However, I believe both the cathedral and castle may have limited access at the moment due to to safety surveys for the stability of the buildings, so that may impact on your visit more than the Open.

The twin will be very busy though!