Please sign in to post.

Shetland in 2019

Hi -
I'll be traveling to Shetland in May '19 for about 10 days. Five on my own and five with a knitting tour, Shetland Wool Adventures.
This will really be a dream come true! The plan so far is to fly from Seattle, WA to Edinburgh and spend a few days. Then probably take a train to Aberdeen for the overnight ferry to Lerwick.
I'm leery about driving on the left but hope that Shetland would be an easier place to try it out. Having said that, how narrow are the roads outside of town?
I want to go up as far as Unst and see the ponies, the unique bus stop, and be at the top of the UK.
Does one need reservations for the intra-island ferries, or are they first come, first serve? It would be awesome to ride those to the various smaller islands.
As a long-time knitter and newbie weaver, I'm eager to see any of the yarn shops and mills in the area, and would love to visit the crofters and artists.
I would appreciate any advice on your experiences.
Patti

Posted by
1019 posts

Hi pattie

What wonderful travels and fun! We went there in 2010 for their Hamerfarin festivities of June 2010. We flew from ok to Aberdeen. Took the over night ferry. We did purchase sleeping berths. We were there about 10 days or so. Rented a self catering house on Burra island. Rented at car from bolt, a standard. Our older cousin drove. He had been there before and was comfortable driving. They some major roads heading out of Lerwick to southern tip sumburgh. Other roads in the outlying areas are generally one lane with side passing lanes. You just have to watch for coming cars and pull off into the passing lanes. It’s not too bad with cars on the roads. Ponies are everywhere. I got my picture in the bus stop in Unst. Shetland is beastiful. I don’t think you need a reservation on the intra-ferries. We were on a small tour bus when we went to unst.. think It is first come first serve. See the cliffs on echaness sp?. St ninans isle, going over the tombollo there. Jarlsoff at sumburgh lighthouse area. There is lots to see. I am so jealous. My 2nd great grandfather Inkster came from there.

Pm if you need more info

Kim

Posted by
3122 posts

The Northlink Ferries FAQ says: "Can I just turn up and go or should I book ahead?
If you are a foot passenger then you can turn up and buy your ticket. However if you plan to take a vehicle or require cabin accommodation, we would strongly advise that you book a few weeks ahead to avoid disappointment.
Please note that the final cut-off time for checking-in is half an hour before sailing, so please turn up in good time!" https://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/online-booking-faqs/

For Shetland orientation, you may like the following site, if you're not already using it: https://www.shetland.org/