All great thoughts and advice. Let me give a few responses:
1) We are already booked on most of this trip in terms of stops/places to stay/flights. The responses about Skye being hard to book (right there! had to struggle to find a good place!)
2) Ages of our kids are 16 and 21. So basically we are 4 adults (almost) here.
3) As far as Oban, seems opinions differ here about stay longer/stay shorter. But we are basically already booked there. We should have basically one day to explore Oban and surrounding area. The other day there we are doing the Mull/Iona/Staffa tour all day. So I think we have that area covered
4) Ft William and Glen Coe, we are pretty much passing through there all in one day, so sounds like my trip planning was right there to not spend too much time there (but give a bit at least in each that one day)
5) At Inverness, we are basically there for 2 full days. Plan on seeing Inverness itself, plus things a bit outside of it like Culloden, Cawdor Castle, Clava Cairns and make our way up to Ft George. Dunrobin Castle was mentioned--looks like it is quite a drive north. Would it really be worth the drive up to that if we were in Inverness?
6) The plan was to go to Aviemore after Inverness, and just maybe see the Cairngorms area. Maybe the railway there? Would be open to any suggestions of things to do or routes to drive from Inverness to Aviemore.
7) The day after Aviemore, the plan is to drive to Balmoral Castle, and see it and then drive on to Pitlochry. But any suggestions on sights or routes along that way would be appreciated.
8) At Pitlochry, the plan was to explore there, and also use that as a base to explore many surrounding areas from there. Any suggestions on places and sights there would be great to hear. Any suggestions of a specific place to say in the Pitlochry area? Like a B&B or other local place?
9) St Andrews for 2 days--our plan is to play golf one day and then the other day (plus what is left on the golf day) explore St Andrews. Maybe (depending on time) also go to Glamis Castle and/or Dunnator Castle. Any thoughts on whether either are worth the trip? And suggestions for any place to stay at St Andrews or in that area?
10) Haven't booked anything specific for Stirling. Sounds like the consensus is stay instead in Loch Lomond area and use that as the base to visit Trossocks plus Sirling area? Is that the best way to do it? And any suggestions on places to stay in Loch Lomond area?
As far as websites, have been getting good info from Undiscovered Scotland, Rick Steves, Discover Scotland, Trip Advisor, Road to the Isles and Walk the Highlands. Any others that have good unbiased info? Or any other forums specific to Scotland?
On the suggestion of not to use the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow but use bus instead--what is the issue with the train this summer?
Thank you very much for thoughts