Please sign in to post.

Scotland May 2023 trip

I think I have settled on our "route" for our trip in May for our family - accommodations booked. Found a few unique places to stay for our family of six but all positive reviews, so hopefully all will be good!

Per Google maps, it is about 11 1/2 hours of driving/500 miles between our accommodations over 8 days on the road. I know it will take more time and miles once we determine our exact route, but wanted to get a rough idea. I have a few things planned, but now need to dig in and plan our activities and stops along the way.

Edinburgh - 2 nights (we have spent 4 nights here before) - 20 & 24 York Place Apts
Oban - 2 nights (Oban distillery tour, Three Isles Tour on second day - weather permitting of course)
Ft William - 1 night ( Glencoe in the morning, afternoon Jacobite train - must do for my daughter - so decided to stay over here rather than late day drive to Skye) Consider driving back to Glencoe to stay as would love more time in this area, but decided Skye awaits the next day and can't do it all!
Syke - 2 nights - as much hiking and exploring as we can fit in two days
Inverness - 1 night (Culloden, Clava Ciarns on the list)
PItllochy - 1 night
Edinburgh - 1 night - morning train to London to spend 2 days at the end of our trip

I know I'll be back with many more questions, but two areas I'm focusing on right now:

Looking at our last day between Pitllochy and Edinburgh. Interested in stopping at The Hermitage and also would not mind seeing St. Andrews. Suggestions for making the most of this last day welcome!

Any experiences around Cairngorms - kayaking, canoeing that anyone would sugguest? Considering this type of experience at some point and thinking maybe the day we are traveling from Inverness to Pitllochy. Or may around Loch Ness? I have considered spending two nights in Inverness and not Pitllochy.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Posted by
265 posts

This company is based in Pitlochry - please note the spelling! :-)

www.naelimits.co.uk

Maybe you could re-jig your itinerary to spend two nights in Pitlochry rather than any nights in Inverness? Culloden and Clava Cairns are very near to each other and could be visited on a drive between Skye and Pitlochry. Then you have a full day available for a Nae Limits activity or activities if you wish.

Have fun!

Posted by
3183 posts

When we drove around Scotland we skipped St. Andrews and drove from Stirling Castle straight to Inverness, totally doable in a day. Is there a reason you are staying overnight in Pitlochry?

Posted by
60 posts

Not really - just was looking at some of RS routes when planning. I had consider going over toward Braemer to get more into the park and checking out more of the village atmosphere.

Posted by
1797 posts

I certainly wouldn't want to do Isle of Skye to Pitlochry with stops for Culloden and Clava Cairns in one day. Not only would it be a lot of driving you would probably have to rush both Culloden and Clava Cairns too. Stick to your plan of an overnight in Inverness.

Pitlochry to Edinburgh via st Andtews is the long way round, but is doable in a day, as long as you don't spend several hours at The Hermitage. Walk Highland website estimate 2 hours for the walk, but you could cut short and do as an out an back to Ossian's Seat.