Please sign in to post.

Scotland itinerary help

I'm am still working our details for our trip to Scotland in May and would appreciate any suggestions for the last couple of days - i just can quite decide! I know at the end of our Ireland trip a few years ago I packed in a little too much driving at the end, so want to not overdo it (which maybe I already have). At this point, any of my reservations could be changed.

5/21 - arrive Edinburgh - 8:30 am

5/22 - Edinburgh (we have spend 3 days in Edinburgh so we will be recovering from jet leg and enjoying this great city again)

5/23 - pick up rental car - drive to Oban (about 3 hours) - have not determined our route or stops, but plan to enjoy the day and take in sites along the way. Stay at Dungallan Country house.

5/24 - early morning Three Isles Tour - wanted to see the these islands and seemed the best way with limited time. We currently are booked to stay a second night in Oban, but I have been rethinking this as we have tickets for jacobite Steam train the next day at 12:30 and I would like to spend some time in Glencoe....
So, could drive to Glencoe area after train (50 mins or so?) and stay at Claching Inn for two nights...I have reservation there ( I know a little backtracking from Ft. William if we stay there on 5/25 after train)

5/25 - Jacobite train in the afternoon - Glencoe sights/short hike in the morning?

*I do have reservations in Skye 5/25-5/28 (3 nights) but as I referenced above I think we might stay in Glencoe after train to avoid a late day 2 plus hour drive to Broadford (staying at Broadford Skye Lodges)

5/26 - Drive to Isle of Skye if stay in Glencoe on 5/25 - overnight in Broadford after hiking, etc in Skye for the day

5/27 - Isle of Skye - more exploring

5/28 - to Inverness - 2 nights? Currently just have one night booked. I probably need to decide what all we want to do in and around Inverness.

This is where I am undecided....we have 5/29 and 5/30 - train from Edinburgh at 9:30 am on 5/31 to London. Spending a couple of nights there before flying home.

I need to get in a distillery tour so was thinking around Speyside - maybe this is just a trip from Inverness if we stay there two nights, but my thought was to work our way back toward Edinburgh - maybe just the one night in Inverness, one night in Ballater or Braemer as would like to be in the Cairngorms. Last night in Perth as fairly short drive to Edinburgh to drop car and make the train?

Our family does not mind moving locations - we travel light (all adult children in their 20s). Enjoy hiking, a little whisky and just experiencing different towns/villages in the country.

Thank you so much in advance for your suggestions!

Posted by
3183 posts

We thought the Oban distillery did a good tour of their facility. We did several distillery tours while in Scotland and IMHO, one is enough!
Why drink Whisky when there is wine!😋

Posted by
6228 posts

Tammy, ha! I have to say I love wine but I also love whiskey. My grandmother trained me to drink it when I was in college and used to visit her on the weekends (she lived nearby). 😊

JW, I'm making my first trip to Scotland in May and I'm traveling to a lot of places you aren't so I probably won't be much help.

Posted by
5377 posts

You've not fitted in Culloden.
So I would suggest going with 5/29 Inverness to Braemar/Ballater via Culloden/Clava and a Speyside distillery etc.
Then 5/30 you Braemar/Ballater to Edinburgh. Various options with things you could do on the way- like Stirling Castle and Bannockburn or Dundee or St Andrews and the East Neuk (these are 'or' not 'and').
It breaks up the journey nicely, without trying to fit too much into the last day transfer from Inverness to Edinburgh.
Its a shame you only end up with the one night in Inverness as there is more you could have done from there, but that's the time you have.

Posted by
60 posts

Thank you for the replies!

Yes, planning to see Culloden, Clava Cairns and Loch Ness - I thought on the day we drive from Skye. I have considered staying in Inverness another day and night and just day tripping from there if that makes sense.

Posted by
575 posts

One suggestion might be for everyone but one driver to take the Jacobite one-way (and sacrifice the return fare) and the soloist drives to Mallaig to meet the crew for the ferry to Skye. The driver could even stop at the famous viaduct and catch a photo of the train as it passes.

Posted by
1797 posts

Unless you are determined to do the trip behind a steam loco,think about getting the 'normal' train - it runs along exactly the same route as the Jacobite, and is a lot cheaper.

Posted by
12 posts

When planning my trip I've had the fortune of knowing some Brits who have helped me with planning. One of their main tips was that Inverness was a larger port town, not a great place for tourists except for its proximity for bus tours/day trips.

I tend to favor mountains and small towns over cities so this is biased, but you could spend a night around Speyside/Cairngorms instead of a second night in Inverness and still hit Culloden/Clava Cairns on the way. Aviemore is a safe bet for accommodations (suggestion from brit) and is near Glenmore for hikes, but I'd bet there are more scenic towns on the route. I would personally vote for either doing this, or spending another night in Skye if you are able to change your reservation.

Posted by
5377 posts

While Aviemore is very useful for accommodation and supplies I personally find it too busy and lacking in charm, possibly even tacky for my tastes. When in the area I stay at a little village about 10 miles north called Nethy Bridge, a true highland village centred around a tumbling burn. Very handy for touring.
So small that the only hotel (there are a few other B and B's there) is also the village fire station.
But for towns Grantown on Spey is charming, full of small businesses and Kingussie and Newtonmore (both now by passed by the A9) are also useful towns to base in. Carrbridge (only a few miles north of Aviemore) is also a nice village with places to stay- another place now by-passed.
Just south of Newtonmore on the A9 you find Ralia- it's the nicest services and rest stop I know of on the UK road network- set in woodland with a couple of gift shops and a cafe. Well worth the stop.
If I want to be north of Inverness then the Victorian spa town of Strathpeffer is another favourite of mine with lots of places to stay and a charming village square with bandstand and a clusture of cafes and restaurants.

Posted by
60 posts

Thank you for all the suggestions! Here is my latest update :

Edinburgh - 2 nights (we have spent 4 nights here before)
Oban - 2 nights (Oban distillery tour, Three Isles Tour on second day - weather permitting of course)
Ft William - 1 night ( Glencoe in the morning, afternoon Jacobite train - must do for my daughter - so decided to stay over here rather than late day drive to Skye) Consider driving back to Glencoe to stay as would love more time in this area, but decided Skye awaits the next day and can't do it all!
Syke - 2 nights in Portree - as much hiking and exploring as we can fit in two days - found a great vacation home that became available - I could check to see if another night possible
Inverness (?) - 1 night (Culloden, Clava Ciarns on the list)
Dunkeld - 1 night (wanted to be somewhat close to Edinburgh for last day and also The Hermitage)
Edinburgh - 1 night - morning train to London to spend 2 days at the end of our trip

I do think I will look at some of the smaller villages and towns suggested instead of staying in Inverness and would like to experience a bit of Cairngorms. And lots of research yet to do to plan stops/sights along the way - particularly the last two days traveling from Skye to Edinburgh.