Please sign in to post.

Scotland in January?

Hi everyone!

I graduate from college in December, and me and my parents would like to take a trip to celebrate. My mom is stuck on the idea of Scotland, which I very much want to see, but I'm worried January wouldn't be pleasant there. Has anyone been there that time of year that could offer any advice?

Thanks!

Posted by
5678 posts

It will be dark. But every year in January Glasgow hosts Celtic Connections, a great music festival. I want to go! Maybe someday.

Most of the sites in the cities will be open, but many in the countryside are closed. So, if her heart is set on seeing the highlands, it might be good to wait for spring. But, if you want to explore Edinburgh and Glasgow you'll find plenty to do.

Pam

Posted by
2639 posts

well I live in Scotland and I certainly would not recommend a visit in January, fine if you want to visit major cities like Glasgow and Edinburgh but if you want to see the actual countryside then wait till later in the year

Posted by
1450 posts

Some friends of mine went to visit family this winter and had a lovely time renting a house "cabin" on the Spey Reservoir near or in the Cairngorm National Park. You would have to drive. The country was stark but the sky was blue. As it was dry; there was no snow (except on the mountain tops). My friend took lots of gorgeous photos. Edinburgh and Glasgow will have plenty of things to see and do. Just cozy up in a pub or the theater at night. Look at Visit Scotland on-line.