Please sign in to post.

Scotland

I've planned a trip to Scotland with a lot of very good information from the travel forum. Thank you for all the great info!! I have one more question. We leave Thurso August 18 and I didn't make hotel reservations for the night of the 18th. Our destination is Aboyne on August 19. So any suggestions on what to see and where to stay between these two towns. I thought there was a castle around Lairg but so far I can't find the name. I've seen Dunrobin Castle and loved it. We plan on turning in our car when we get to Edinburgh (4 days) or is there castles or sights of interests we would want a car for around Edinburgh we would have to drive to.

Thanks
Ginger

I'm not sure about your Thurso/Aboyne question, but I do have a few suggestions for Edinburgh. While you can do these destinations by public transit as my husband and I did, it would probably be faster and easier by car. I would absolutely suggest you go to the ruined castles of Tantallon and Dirleton near North Berwick. In the environs of Ediburgh Roslyn Chapel and ruined Craigmillar Castle are both wonderful as well.

Have a fabulous time!

Posted by
5678 posts

I am going to recommend one of my favorite places, The Anderson. It's in Fortrose on the Black Isle. It's about half way between Thurso and Aboyne and so you can take your time. I would suggest exploring Dornoch on your way South. There is the Cathedral and it's a good place for lunch. (BTW if you've not stopped at the Broch just north of Dunrobin, then you should take 15 an explore it. You can walk down to the North Sea if you want to.) The Dornoch Firth is quite spectacular. A friend and I explored the south coast a bit, ending up in Tain.

Also, as you cross the Cromarty Firth, you could got north up the coast of the Black Isle to Cromary. It's a sweet little village that is lovely to explore on foot.

The Anderson is in Fortrose near Rosemarkie, I love the Whisky Bar, but the food is quite good as well. Fortrose has wonderful views of the Moray Firth. You can also go down the hill and walk out to Chanonry Point to see if there are any dolphins.

Pam