Please sign in to post.

Scotland,Edinburgh

We are thinking about planning a trip to Scotland, mainly the Edinburgh area, next June, as our last grandchild we will take to Europe turns 16. She loves to hike, she tells us, and would like to go to Scotland or Ireland. It seems we would do much less traveling,( we do not ever rent a car and take public transportation to travel around Europe), and get in more hiking in Edinburgh than any place else. We will probably spend most of our time there as Jerry will be 81 and Stelly will be 77. We are in good physical shape but no where near the energy of a 16 year old. Are there hikes that she could go on with a group we could find in Edinburgh that we would feel safe sending her on on her own that anyone knows about? We intend to do a lot of the walking in and around the city and maybe a trip to St. Andrews. But if we could get her a couple of trips that are more strenuous but safe she would have a better experience of the hiking part of the trip.

Posted by
2637 posts

there is a lot of good hiking in and around Edinburgh, easy ones like the Water of Leith walkway, where you can do the full stretch or just sections of it.
another easy on is the old Innocent railway which actually goes quite close to where I live.
of course you have Arthur's seat which is a fair bit more strenuous but something she could easily do on here own. The Pentland hills are close by and there are several great walks all accesabile by public transport, nearby you have Linlithgow and various walks in the area that also take in parts of the canals and one of the aquaducts..If she Googles all the places I mention she should get some great info.
Also look at Meet Up lots of walking groups that would maybe have her along as a guest, she may have to pay a few £'s for admin costs but most likely she would not have to pay.
Look also at the various University Student associations that may have summer activities going, Edinburgh ,Heriot watt and Queen Margaret's are the main ones.
hope this gives some ideas.

Posted by
323 posts

Thank you so much. I was hoping for that kind of information. This will be our first trip to this part of Europe and you have been very helpful. I will definitely pass this along to her.

Posted by
2637 posts

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lothian/roslin-glen.shtml
you might be intersted in this walk, you could go and visit Roslin Chapel whilst your granddaughter does a walk and meets you back at the chapel,nice little cafe there and there are a couple of hotels right beside the bus stop to get a more substantial meal.easy to get to from central edinburgh by bus and you actually pass the Roslin Institute (now part of Edinburgh University) where Dolly the Sheep was created.
the website will give links to many other walks.

Posted by
5678 posts

Another suggestion would be to take the train up to Birnam and Dunkeld. There are lots of trails in easy reach of the railway station. I just spent a few lovely days there and really enjoy the Perthshire countryside.

Pam

Posted by
323 posts

Thank you both for the help. We are keeping the responses in our Scotland folder and sending them on to our granddaughter.